General
   >> Invoices
Thread views: 46905 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
03/27/07 01:46 PM
Re: Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Would you believe I have two buyers whose stuff will ship today, both with hypenated address numbers?

I've written to them to see if these are typos or if the numbers without the hyphens would create confusion or go to a totally different location on the same street.

Will let you know.

Interesting topic (for AW nerds like us ).

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/27/07 01:52 PM
Re: Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue.

'Aint' that the truth!

My kids call me "geek" and things like that. I mean my idea of a good conversation is discussing Listing templates, AW2K features and the guts in my computer I just built

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
03/28/07 11:27 AM

I heard back from my hypenated buyers.

One address was

37-02
Apt 3

and the other was

68-64
Apt A 20

I asked them if using the numbers without the hyphens would cause confusion, and they both said it would be no problem either way. I can only assume this means there is no address on their streets with such high numbers as would seem to be indicated without the hyphens.

So there ya go. Clear as mud, huh? What's the point of a hyphen if it doesn't matter? I don't like fuzzy whateverness.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/28/07 11:31 AM

Sue,

Now that is weird. You would think that there would be a huge difference between 3702 and 37-02. I mean that could be miles apart, literally.

How in the world does the USPS ever come up with some of the addresses I will never know. We have a building whose address is 720-1/2 Main. Now how do you get a 1/2 building. Geez, I have never had the appraiser charge me half Real Estate taxes on the 1/2 address. They want the whole shabang!

Judy/blue

Ned
(stranger )
04/06/07 06:42 PM
Re: Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: bluepennylady]  

It's not so much the Post Office coming up with the strange numbers as some local government. Typically the street numbers are assigned every so many feet--30, 60, whatever. If you knew the number and the increment, you'd know how far from some central point the place is. Those half numbers occur when there's more than one building within the increment.

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/07/07 07:11 AM
Re: Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

I just trotted over and asked our mayor how in the world our house number is 100 when we are the only place on the road and why our building which takes up half a city block has a 1/2 number. (You see, the "mayor" is my hubby. He keeps trying to get me to refer to him as "Your honor" NOT!!

And you know what, that booger assigned our house number when we built the place. Didn't even ask me what house address I wanted, just picked it out. And the "mayor" had the nerve to tell me he had that authority and I didn't so he didn't ask me

In all seriousness, he said the way our city does it, they do work with the local Post Office but they also use the county plats, check where properties lay within a section and that is how the numbers are assigned. I honestly didn't know the city governments assigned addresses. I thought the Post Office did it and notified the city.

Why you can teach an old dog new tricks

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
04/11/07 04:49 PM
Re: Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
Here (Florida) the Power Company assigns numbers to buildings. It is based on (I Think) the pole numbers and or the transformer numbers. Our number is 5262. The numbers on one side jump four at a time so on either side of us is 5258 and 5266. But just like any other town or city the numbers repeat on another street obviously. The Postal Service doesn't have anything to do with numbering here. It is an easy system in urban sprawl and makes it easier for Police and Fire. I've never seen a 1/2 number but that doesn't make it impossible. Also the same system is used in some areas of New York state that I'm aware of.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/11/07 07:29 PM
Re: Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Remember we live in Mayberry RFD. Where if you send a letter to Pennyworth in Columbus, KS, well, it will get there just fine. That is pretty interesting how you all get your addresses. I bet every community has their own rhyme and reason to it.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
05/23/07 03:29 PM
Update to Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Just letting you guys know this package was finally returned to me almost three months after I shipped it Media Mail. It had never made it to the New York post office -- the location indicated by the zip code. As soon as it arrived in Iowa, someone crossed out the NY zip, so there was no way anyone could have even tried that location. Lesson is, I guess, the city/state trumps the zip code when they don't match.

There were stamps indicating they left notices at the old, burned-down address in Iowa, but eventually they gave up on the addressee ever coming in to pick it up and shipped it back to the sender.

The box was a mess. It had been opened and resealed very poorly, and the airbag inside was missing (the contents were undamaged, though). I patched it up and resent it wrapped in brown paper so the buyer could see the box's condition. And get this.....he reversed my refund! Very nice person. When I reshipped, I said repayment wasn't necessary, but that I'd appreciate having the shipping cost reimbursed. But he sent the whole payment again. Happy ending.

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/23/07 03:32 PM
Re: Update to Crazy mixed-up shipping address new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

That is a happy ending.

Can you believe how long it takes?? Three months. I'm just glad you got it worked out. That is cool!

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads