General
   >> Invoices
Thread views: 9939 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Ned
(member)
06/05/07 09:23 AM
Adjusting sales tax?  

Most of my buyers use the eBay checkout rather than an invoice from me. There is sometimes a slight difference in the sales tax calculation, so that when they "pay in full" AW2K thinks the amount is a bit off.

Is there any way to adjust the (calculated) sales tax for an invoice, or otherwise clean this up?

Ned

bluepennylady
(veteran)
06/05/07 09:53 AM
Re: Adjusting sales tax? new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

How is your sales tax set up in AW2000 and in your eBay Preferences? Are you using a specified rate in AW2000? Or are you using your sales tax chart you set up in your eBay Preferences.

There shouldn't be a difference in the calculations. Unless when you enter in the tax profile on the Invoice, you use the actual town you are shipping to and that town has a different sales tax rate than is in AW2000 and your eBay preferences.

Here's the problem with the eBay set up. They only allow one sales tax rate. Not several hundred, like it is most States. So if someone from Wichita buys something, they really don't pay the Wichita sales tax rate, they pay the Columbus, Ks sales tax rate as that is the only rate set up in my eBay preferences.

So, the only way to make the rate and amount paid to balance exactly, is to either enter in your own city tax rate into the Tax profile field on each invoice. This method has a down side as your sales tax reports are not accurate. As the report won't actually show the correct amount of sales tax. But you can re-do the report in Excel and run a total equation.

Or you can elect to manually enter in the extra amount just to make it neat and clean. And use the correct sales tax profile on each Invoice.

And to be sure, I'll double check to see if there is anything else that can be done How's that!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
06/05/07 05:13 PM

Ned:
I've not had a sales tax problem until last week. My AW2K tax profile is .065 for both eBay and AW2k. It has worked perfectly but now for some reason I notice that eBay has charged people .645. I checked my eBay preferences and it says what it is supposed to. Something is strange. To make a correction I just opened up an inventory item called Sales tax. When I need to lower the amount to the customer I make that into an auction item. enter the negative amount on the auction page give it a title of Sales Tax Credit and then add it to the invoice and everything is now neat and clean. Not the best way 'cause at least here we have to pay the state what we are supposed to collect even if it wasn't collected. But it's only pennies. I've sent an email to eBay asking what's up but so far no answer.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
06/05/07 09:06 PM
Re: Adjusting sales tax? new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

That is a very good idea. I'll give that a try as well..

My sales tax has been fine but I have other sellers I know that are experiencing trouble with theirs.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
06/05/07 10:01 PM
Re: Adjusting sales tax? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:

Thanks, I just figured that this work around was the best of a few ideas that I had for the tax problem caused by eBay. Also once set up it is easy to use again. And it is not complicated - just what I need.

I gave that Inventory item an in stock count of 100 and that way I can simply add a new one to auctions at will. If it runs low (God forbid I have to use it that much) I'll just add to it to "replenish" the number. Also some basic non-personalized info is in the inventory part. I finish it up when it's made into an auction lot. Also because it's pretty descriptive on the invoice the "lot" can be deleted at the close of sale. Also I only have to deselect the last item when doing feedback.

By the way when a customer requests registered mail I try not to bulk it in with shipping because that is an additional cost they requsted. So I have an Inventory item for Registered Mail also - now it shows up as the last line item on their invoice and then at the bottom of the invoice the regular postage cost shows. It stops screaming about horrible shipping costs when they forget they asked for Registered Mail.

Garry

Ned
(member)
06/06/07 08:26 AM
Re: Adjusting sales tax? new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry--

The Inventory item for sales tax correction is a good workaround.

The general idea of pseudo-Inventory items to break out costs is even better.

Thanks!

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
06/06/07 09:11 AM

Ned:

You're welcome. I thought that, at least for me, this was a way for me to show it as a line item and the customer would see the refund. This way there is no question. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it but that was the simple way for me to do it.

Garry

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads