General
   >> Shipping Labels
Thread views: 36629 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ncshrimper
(stranger )
11/03/06 08:46 AM
Export Addresses to USPS SA v 3.0  

Has anyone been successful in setting up AW 2000 to export the address fields in the proper order to a .csv file for importing into the latest version of USPS Shipping Assistant (ver 3.0)?

The new USPS version is available for download on the USPS web site. When starting the old version I received a message about the new version. It indicated the old version will no longer work after Jan 2007 so I downloaded and installed version 3.0. From what I see so far the new version of SA is a needed and worthwhile improvement over the older version but of course there is always something new to learn about an upgraded program . I am trying to get it set up to work properly.

I've been using AW2000 and the previous version of SA for quite some time. I export the shipping addresses from AW and import them into SA Address book with out any problems. But the same settings don't work with the new version of the USPS program. I get a error that says " The file you have selected is not a valid import file. Please select a different file and try again or reference the users guide to insure column headers are valid." I've read the user guide and I think there is a problem with the way AW names the columns but I'm not sure.

I do understand the .csv file format enough to use it but there is a lot I don't understand with different programs using it. I'm still trying to find a solution and any help would be appreciated.

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/03/06 08:55 AM
Re: Export Addresses to USPS SA v 3.0 new [re: ncshrimper]  

Hi,

I do not use the USPS SA. I use Endicia so that part I cannot assist you with. But if it is a problem with the AW2000 csv column headers, can't you rearrange those columns after you have exported the file from AW2000. I do not export names and addys but I export Inventory lists, etc. And can rearrange the columns to fit what I am doing. So I was wondering if re-arranging the columns after the export could be helpful?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/03/06 09:55 AM

Hi:
I too use shipping assistant and have downloaded and set up 3.0. I remember reading on their download site about setting up the file. If you head back to their site you will find instructions on exporting from any program and then editing if necessary for it work in SA 3.0

If you can't find the directions on their site let me know and I'll check it out. I sorta remember where I saw it.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/03/06 09:58 AM

I found the address:

http://www.usps.com/shippingassistant/instructions.htm

Also the format for the file is:

Full Name,Company,Address 1,Address 2,Address 3,City,State,Zip Code,Province,Country,Urbanization,Phone,Fax,E Mail,Customer Ref #,Short Name
Joe Customer,ABC Co.,480 L'Enfant Pl. SW,,,Washington,DC,20024,,United States,,2022222222,,icustomercare@usps.com,,ABCCO

Hope that helps

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/03/06 10:14 AM
Re: Export Addresses to USPS SA v 3.0 new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Thanks for popping in. I just started to email you as I recalled you used the USPS SA and I thought you might know the correct file formatting

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/03/06 11:51 AM
Re: Export Addresses to USPS SA v 3.0 new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
Good memory . I like the program and the new version is darn good also. They've upgraded it some and now you can do labels and put them on hold and not print right away. It's good for repeating mailings also 'caus you can pull them up when you need them.

As opposed to Endicia it doesn't print the postage. They have a free product that will do that - but because I deal with Stamp Collectors it's perfect for me in that I add my own postage to the label and everyone is happy. I get to use up old scrap postage and my customers get nice useable collectable stamps. So everyone wins.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/03/06 02:36 PM

Garry,

Nobody wants my stamps. They just want their stuff.

I didn't use Endicia until ealier this year. But the shipping got way too difficult taking unmetered mailpieces to the Post Office, waiting for everything to be weighed again, postage afixed and then write a check. Took almost a hour everyday as it requires about 1 minute per package to process. With Endicia labels, we walk in, hand the USPS mail carriers over the counter, get empty ones for the next day and leave. Much better!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/04/06 10:44 AM

Judy:
Shipping's not too difficult for me either. I just make my daily treck to the post office and hand the guy the bin full of stuff. It's already stamped, weighted, addressed etc. Customs labels on and filled out, Insurance filled out. Then we chat for a second and I head on out. Everything gets hand cancels and nothing goes through the facer canceler. The next day all of the receipts, if there are any, are in my P.O. Box.

It took me about 6 months to train them. But once trained it stuck. Only problem is when there is a new clerk. And usually one of the "trained" clerks will say no, no, no, no, that's Garry's stuff. Just take it and nevermind. LOL I guess after I leave they show the newbie what has to be done.

Garry

bluepennylady
(addict)
11/04/06 10:50 AM

Garry,

Lucky you. Even in this extremely small town of under 3500 the Post Master would make us wait and wait and wait. But then even with everything weighed, I don't use stamps as most of my packages are much larger. So it was a real challenge.

But we have the same trouble with newbie's. They are so formal. And the trained clerks will do the same thing. NO no no, that is Judy's stuff. just take it. However, they all get a bit testy if we are running a tad behind schedule and show up at 3:45 when they close at 4:00 'cause that means someone gets to stay over and process our packages

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
11/04/06 11:43 AM

Judy:
I see the same thing about them getting a tiny bit miffed. Usually I show up on time however, there is this other guy that bring in a big mailing every day. Not sure who he works for but there are a ton of Priority Mail boxes. Anyway, he cuts it to the last minute. The worst part is he doesn't have any postage on anything so they have work to do on his stuff. So they grit their teeth and smile and yank the bin away from him. When they are finished they about drum him out the door.

Your stuff though, if it is all ready, shouldn't take them that long to do at all. Also they don't get to fly out the door the second it locks anyway. There is cashing up to do and other things - so they really don't have a lot of reason to get testy.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads