Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 6612 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/15/10 01:59 PM
How do other sellers sneak by the eBay censors?  

I know eBay disallows the listing of ivory items, but I hope someone can explain why I can't list a vintage celluloid item with the following brand name in the title or description while other sellers seem to have no problem:

IVORY DU BARRY

There are currently 4 listings with that phrase in title or description, and there are numerous other auctions with IVORY in the title or description. When I attempted to list my item last night, I got errors that blocked the listing. How do other sellers get these listings inserted??

I also got blocked because the description for another of my Lots included the words Western Union (a batch of antique documents, photos, AND two old Western Union Telegrams). I had to read the very LONG description over and over, until I finally discovered what was causing the listing to fail.

I found an auction with Western Union in the title which was listed by a fellow AW user. I wrote to him to ask how he got by the eBay censors, but I haven't heard back. His auctions have the AW2k blurb at the bottom.

And of course, there are hundreds of other listings with Western Union in their titles or descriptions.

How can other sellers get away with using these words while I cannot?

Sue

Tradeguy
(enthusiast)
02/16/10 03:28 PM
Re: How do other sellers sneak by the eBay censors? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

These types of filters tend to be category based. Are those other listings in the same category?

For example, Ivory is a common color for clothings, and the term is not blocked in clothing.

As a workaround, if it's in the description, you could always add some extra spaces...like Wes tern U nion

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/16/10 05:57 PM
Re: How do other sellers sneak by the eBay censors? new [re: Tradeguy]  

Hi Garry (is that you?)

The other IVORY listings are all over the place, but most of those which are for celluloid items would be in either Collectibles, Antiques, or possibly Home and Garden.

The Western Union listing I was referring to was for a 45 record (Western Union Man).

I tried using spaces for the IVORY listing and also tried IV-RY, but neither subterfuge worked. I didn't try anything tricky with the Western Union because they were clearly visible in the photo and the name didn't make or break the interest the auction would get. And of course the problem with adding spaces is it renders the word unsearchable.

I wonder if you could list an IVORY celluloid item in Clothing and then get away with changing the category to Collectibles. Probably not.

Sue

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
02/16/10 08:38 PM
Re: How do other sellers sneak by the eBay censors? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue

Apply for an exception.. You can email support and request an exception.. I had to do that before on prohibited terms. Took a few days but got it done.

They have the same kind of filters in place for items being fed to Google shopping as well. To keep prohibited items and terms out....

Try listing and then changing the category. All it can do is not work...

Judy Oglesby
Judy/blue
bluepennylady

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

Visit me at Bonanzle!
http://www.bonanzle.com/bluepennylady

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads