Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 17726 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(journeyman)
06/14/06 09:12 PM
AW & API & eBay new  

Posted in Announcements recently:

"This significant change to Auction Wizard 2000 is being made because eBay now allows software developers to use its API in end-user applications without charge. This means that there will not be any initial change in the pricing of Auction Wizard 2000. In the event that eBay implements API usage fees in the future, pricing changes may be made to Auction Wizard 2000 to recoup those fees."

Maybe it's because I worship the god of pessimism, but this scares me.

Anyone else feel a little queasy about this announcement? When eBay gets cooperative, I get suspicious. And I can't abide the idea that "our baby" could get adopted or co-opted or anything-opted by eBay. But maybe that's totally the wrong take on this. Maybe API is the best thing since those little correction tape dispensers. I just don't want AW getting too cozy with eBay.

Would love to read your opinions on this.

wheeloftime
(journeyman)
06/14/06 09:49 PM
Re: AW & API & eBay new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Technically using the API provided by eBay would be the best thing for AW2K. It does make it more eBay dependant but much easier to maintain for Thom and the team and I see no relation with a 'might be becoming an eBay company/program'. I think eBay now has a need of 3th party programs offering services linked to their site without neccessarily controlling those completely. It is a smart move to make the API available agains no costs.
Best advice: never ever tie your business to one solution.

bluepennylady
(newbie)
06/15/06 00:14 AM
Re: AW & API & eBay [re: wheeloftime]  

Hi,

eBay has to keep up with the marketplace and trends. The trend is to allow 3rd party developers access to the API free of charge. And it is to eBay's benefit to allow the 3rd party developers the API. If eBay or anyother auction venue supplies the API and the 3rd party developers provide applications for Auction management, eBay does not have to invest revenue in offering those Auction management tools or maintaining the "free" tools.

Secondly, eBay and other Auction venues recognize the fact that a whole host of sellers and companies will not use the particular auction venues tools to manage their business. So to attract more sellers who generate more revenue, allow 3rd party developers whose users will list on that auction venue.

Overstock.com Auctions supplied the API free and a whole long list of developers ran right over. Taking a whole long list of sellers along with them. It is just good business sense to allow developers access to the auction site.

Judy/blue

Ned
(stranger )
06/20/06 10:57 AM
Re: AW & API & eBay new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Hey, Tictic, you can't possibly be more pessimistic than I am. I'm a professional. :-)

That said, this particular bit of eeyorism is not justified. I suspect that using eBay's API will result in a better, more reliable AW2K, not to mention with added capabilities.

As far as fees go, I interpret the message to mean "it's not costing us anything to use the API, so we won't charge you users anything extra. BUT, if eBay later changes its mind and starts to charge the developers for API use, we reserve the right to change the AW2K business model and pricing." Seems perfectly fair to me.

As long as eBay has competition nipping at its heels, I don't think they'll renege and start chargingagain to use the API.

FWIW, I think AW2K is worth more right now than they charge for it.

bluepennylady
(newbie)
06/20/06 12:18 PM
Re: AW & API & eBay new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

Hear, hear. I agree :o)

And I don't think you are pessimitic. Realistic but not pessimistic.

Every program I have tested more or less has the same qualifying statement in their user agreement. The fee is such and such based on our present agreement with eBay. If that agreement and fee changes, so will our fee structure.

However, I have not seen AW2000 double their fees. And Meridan and MarketWorks doubled their fees as of March 1 of this year. Straight across the board doubled the fees and offered no increase in features and/or service.

Judy/blue

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
06/20/06 12:58 PM
Re: AW & API & eBay [re: Ned]  

Thanks for this -- just needed to hear the opinions of folks better informed than I.

Ned wrote: "FWIW, I think AW2K is worth more right now than they charge for it."

Shhhhhhhh!

bluepennylady
(newbie)
06/20/06 02:39 PM
Re: AW & API & eBay [re: Anonymous]  

Hi,

eBay is making a very sound business decision to release the API at no charge. If they want to attract the full scope of sellers, the API has to be available to 3rd party developers. The bottom line, a huge portion of sellers will not use eBay's tools to manage their auctions. Internet business dictates sellers offer product in more than one Auction venue. And the sellers have to be able to manage that business.

If eBay wants all the fish in their pond, they have to make the pond available to all the fish :O)

Judy/blue

scalesusa
(stranger )
09/01/06 07:08 AM
EBAY API AW2.3 beta new [re: bluepennylady]  

I downloaded the beta yesterday, everything installed smoothly and the first update took a few minutes. After that, it was about 900 times faster, instead of 10-15 minutes to update all auctions, it took about 10 seconds.

This morning, I was able to process winning bids just fine, and I listed 6 or 7 new items as well. It is at least 10 times faster to list a item.

As usual, AW's beta software is better than the production version of most other software. Of course, I have given it only a limited usage, but so far, it is wonderful.

Now, if they the ability to launch from my ebay store to an auction without all the hassle.

bluepennylady
(member)
09/01/06 08:24 AM
Re: EBAY API AW2.3 beta new [re: scalesusa]  

Hi,

Isn't it just absolutely incredible. Did you notice during ebay store updates, all the auctions are not necessarily updated? Just the auctions that have had an event are updated. Really reduces the update time. So during the day, if you have 5 Store Auctions sell, you can use Auction Site | Update Auctions |Your ebay store profile. And it doesn't matter if you have 5000 auctions listed, only the auctions that have had an event are updated. And what's even better, is often times the API will pickup sold auctions before you even get an Email from Ebay.

What to go Auction Wizard 2000!!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(newbie)
09/01/06 03:02 PM
Re: EBAY API AW2.3 beta new [re: scalesusa]  

Hi:

The comments so far are so right about this BETA. I have never seen any BETA software run this well. It is darn near Gold. Everything runs faster and smoother and still keeps the AW2K interface and all of the goodies that Thom and his team have spent so much time putting into the software. If anyone is looking for real auction management software this has to be the one they get.

I have spent a lot of time, as most of the AW2K users have, working with AW2K and 99.9% of that time has been enjoyable, profitable, and problem free. Now with this latest version my time will be even better spent as it is going to allow me to do more in less time for a lot of the functions.

I found that the posting and updating of everything is so much easier and faster. I had developed my own work around for the "best offer" function of eBay. Well .... I can throw that away now. Because of the type of material I sell on eBay the best offer function is very worthwhile. Now with this improvement in aw2k I'll be able to use it without problems and have everything incorporated as if it was a regular auction/store sale. One more way that Thom has helped us.

I see the effort put into this latest BETA of aw2k as a way for all of us to function easier, quicker, smarter, and spend more time on trying to make more sales.

This all calls for a "Tip-Of-The-Hat" to Thom and his group. Credit where Credit is due has to be given here.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads