Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 18417 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/01/06 10:58 PM
Unable to list; pesky MSIE Information Bar blocks  

Is anyone else having this problem......?

First a little background:

-- A few weeks ago, I gave in and upgraded to Service Pack 2 for WinXP. This might have something to do with the problem I'm having, but I've listed several auctions since updating XP, and this listing error just started with tonight's listings, so who knows? And by the way, I have Automatic Updates disabled, so nothing got recently updated without my being aware of it.

-- In the last few days, when I preview a listing in AW, Big Brother Microsoft flashes a warning banner at me. It's at the top of the preview and is called the Internet Explorer Information Bar. Its mission is to protect us from nasty scripts and ActiveX. So I disabled it....or I thought I did.

Tonight, I tried to list some Lots, but I got "An error occurred while parsing the 'Choose Selling Format' page." So I did all the usual things we do -- backup, rebuild, restart, try again -- get same error -- restart again -- check for AW updates, you know the drill.

Kept getting the error.

For what it's worth, the eBay error page was at file:///C:/Aw2000/listing.html?SellHub3&js=0. When I viewed it, the page flashed or reloaded repeatedly at one-second intervals (it's the page that says Sell at the top and has a box titled What are you selling?). At the top is this MSIE warning: "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options...." I can stop the flashing by simply clicking to allow the blocked content, then saying Yes to "Allow active content such as script and ActiveX controls." But obviously, this Big Brother junk isn't disabled.

So I read the Windows Help file on this and disabled the stupid thing every place I could find (it's also called the Pop-Up Blocker; see Tools:Intenet Options:Security). Then I restarted my computer.

Got the same error and the Information Bar still popped up!

Does anyone know how to solve this annoying problem?

Thanks, Sue

AquilaStamps
(newbie)
09/01/06 11:10 PM
Re: Unable to list; pesky MSIE Information Bar blocks new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue:

I think you are getting a Java Script error on your AW2K page you are trying to post. I'm not sure but It may be that - the reason I'm guessing it is that I had something similar a while ago. Have you got anything on your auction page that you designed into it in the AW2K template manager? By that I mean a special search box, a off eBay site shipping calculator, you know what I mean right? If you do try making a copy of the template and then in the copy removing those Java elements one at a time and try to post one auction only using that revised template. If it fails you at least will get the eBay error page that tells you what could be the problem.

Also once you installed Service Pack 2 for XP there was a default Firewall that MS activated for you. Wasn't that nice of them .. they can be so kind at times. However, my experience with it was that it messed up my ability to post to eBay with AW2K. I disabled it and I'll be a darned -- it worked and no problems posting. I already have a firewall - ZoneAlarm Pro Subscriber edition. It allows the AW2K without any problem.

I'm not sure if I helped at all or just made matters worse. But maybe there might be something here to help. Hope it does, and if not just post back. In the meantime I'll do some checking with JS errors and see what I can find. Hope things work out for ya

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
09/01/06 11:41 PM
Re: Unable to list; pesky MSIE Information Bar blocks new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Hi Garry,

Of the five Lots I tried to list tonight, three of them used the eBay shipping calculator ("Specify calculated shipping costs"), but that's not what you're talking about, is it? Other than that, no, there were no scripts in my descriptions or templates. All the templates I used were tried and true - no new stuff in them.

Right after updating to SP2, I disabled the Microsoft firewall; I'm not on a network; no new virus programs or firewalls at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just can't think there was anything in the descriptions/template I tried to list tonight that could have caused this. And remember, I was getting this pop-up warning when just previewing auctions for the last few days, yet I was able to list a few items just last night with no problems. I'm hoping this is an eBay thing, and we'll get an AW update tomorrow.

Sue

Tradeguy
(enthusiast)
09/02/06 02:17 AM
Re: Unable to list; pesky MSIE Information Bar blocks new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Hi Tictoc -

I thnk I know this one.

In IE,

1 - click on Tools
2 - click on internet options
3 - click on the advanced tab
4 - scroll down to the "security" section
5 - check the setting that says "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer".

Close the IE window and try it now.

The problem actually isn't the "pop-up blocker", but a security setting. I remember it taking me a long time to find this option.

AquilaStamps
(newbie)
09/02/06 02:37 AM

Sue:
Sorry I wasn't able to help. It's strange that something like that just started to happen this evening.

But sounds as if Rich may have found a solution for you. Forgot all about that but he's right that setting would fix any script problem in IE.

Hope you get it fixed. Have a good Holiday.

Garry

bluepennylady
(member)
09/02/06 05:58 AM

Sue,

The problem you are having is not related to WIndows. eBay has switched you to the new Sell your Item form without your knowledge. YOu will need to log into your ebay account and change back to the old sell your item form. Several other users have experienced the same problem recently.

To switch back, go the the "Sell" tab. There is an option right at the top of the first box asking if you wish to use the Old form. Select that option. You should be good to go. Let me know if that does not correct the problem

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(newbie)
09/02/06 08:19 AM
Re: Unable to list; pesky MSIE Information Bar blocks new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:

Duh - never thought of that. I remember hearing about that happening earlier on and then it just flew out of my mind. Lately not much is staying in there anyway.

Sure seems as if you prolly have solved Sue's problem.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/02/06 08:36 AM

Garry,

[quoteLately not much is staying in there anyway[/quote]

Boy do I hear you This past week I bet I have forgot about 3/4 of what anyone says to me. I get so frustrated with myself. I use to be able to remember even appointments that were scheduled months in advance. Never wrote anything in a planner or calendar. But anymore, I will write it down, then I can't remember where I wrote it. Couldn't be age. naahhh. Too much really important information in my brain crowding out petty details.

I hope that does fix Sue's problem. If it doesn't well, we'll try something else. I remembered because I have had several users email having the problem so I recognized the symptoms.

Judy/blue

ericapearl
(stranger )
09/02/06 09:15 AM

Judy~
I swear everytime I have had issue and come to these boards there you were already addressing it.....I had to create a logon just to Thank you!

ebay id: ericapearl

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
09/02/06 09:21 AM
Re: Unable to list; pesky MSIE Information Bar blocks new [re: ericapearl]  

HI,

I am so glad you the information posted has been and is helpful. That's good! I guess you were having the same problem? Well, be sure and let me know if changing the form fixes it or not. If it doesn't, we can certainly try again.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads