Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 25344 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/08/06 12:24 PM
Lotta scrolling goin' on....  

Is it just me, or did eBay mess things up with their most recent routine maintenance?

When I look at search results or a seller's auction list (not in Stores -- they seem to be fine), the top half of the page is blank (other than the usual Category list, Show only box, and Seller Information along the left edge). I have to scroll down half way before I start seeing the listings (either List or Gallery view). Not only is there a lot of empty page territory (eBay abhors empty space -- must sell ads! must fill space!), but no Featured auctions are showing up, and I know the list of items started much higher on the page than it does now. In fact, a newbie would just assume there are NO results for a search. I've checked the System Status board, but there's no mention of this.

Here's a screenshot:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/emailshere/eBayGlitch.jpg
(nothing shows up above "Add To Favorite Searches")

Also, when I'm looking at some seller's list of stuff, and I'm clicking to view some of the auctions, and going back to the list, and then advancing through several pages of items, eventually, I can't get back to the initial page by using the Back button (it's like those annoying sites that disable the Back button and you have to use the browser drop-down box and click on the original page to get back to it). When this happens, using the Back button just reloads the current page.

I probably wouldn't even ask about this -- would just assume eBay would fix it next week -- but on the same night as eBay did their maintenance, I also upgraded to MSIE version 7. Or at least, I think I did -- the version still says 6.x, so something's not right. But other internet pages appear completely normal, and the Back button seems to be working correctly on other pages.

So has anyone else noticed this glitch on eBay?

Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
10/08/06 03:35 PM
Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Now it could be an eBay glitch as they have done some re-arraning. You'll notice the shipping calculators are different. That changed last week. And there is a bug in the calculator eBay is working to correct. So maybe they are working on the bug and caused a display problem. It's possible.

Do you have Firefox? You might try viewing the pages using firefox and see if they look strange to you.. I viewed the pages in IE and Firefox from my home computer. All looks okay to me.

Try to download the IE update again and see if that corrects the problem.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/09/06 01:43 PM
Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Oh my gawd! It IS the browser! It's totally normal in Firefox (why didn't I think to try that?! -- don't answer that question!).

Ok, now I've got to get back to the earlier version of MSIE. Sheesh! No wonder people hate Microsoft. I have Automatic Updates disabled, but every now and then, when I open a browser session, I get a prompt to update this and that. Usually, I just ignore them, but this one said there was an update to the browser itself, so I went for it. It's still possible the new version of MSIE is fine and that I simply got a bad download or bad install (although nothing seemed to go awry), so I guess I should refrain from bad-mouthing Microsoft.....ah, what they heck, they suck. It's always so amusing (or would be if it weren't so aggravating) that Microsoft's own web site is so full of errors -- links that don't work, typos, and so on.

It's also interesting that this glitch seemed only to affect eBay. All the other sites I've visited since downloading the new version appeared completely normal.

Here's my list of auctions in the two browsers, side by side:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/emailshere/eBayGlitch.jpg

The one on the left is with MSIE and looks like I don't even have any auctions running. You have to scroll halfway down the page to see them.

Thanks again, Judy, for making me THINK.

Sue

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
10/09/06 01:46 PM
Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Holy moly, That is a significant difference in displaying the listing.

I am glad you got it fixed though. And that it wasn't something major

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/10/06 01:44 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

I spent a couple hours tonight trying to reinstall MSIE version 6. Windows tells you it's detected a more recent version and won't install. Microsoft instructs you to tweak a Registry file to avoid this roadblock, which I did to no avail (lots of people are complaining about the same problem).

I also tried some steps using the command prompt. Didn't work. Finally gave up and configured Firefox as my default browser (took a while to inform other programs, log into sites and remember passwords, etc.).

Figuring I can't possibly be the only person who had problems making eBay work right with IE 7 (also called RC1 for Release Candidate), I Googled on the topic and found this:

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?messageID=1200998895&forumID=2009#1200998895
(see posts 27 - 30)

Wouldn't you think Microsoft would make sure their new browser and eBay played well together before inviting (presumably) thousands of people to give it a try?

Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/10/06 05:02 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

If other software providers were to release products with as many bugs as Microsoft does, the companies would go broke. Or if AW2K was released with as many bugs, can you imagine what the users would do to AW2K tech support. Why Thom would have to go into permanent hiding

I think it might be wise for users to make a restore point on their computer prior to updating the IE browser to version 7. I am certainly glad you posted about this problem. What a mess!

Bless your heart-- having to go through and change everything on your computer. Could you uninstall the update?

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/10/06 09:37 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Guys!
I have been using IE7 since it was made available as a BETA and have had no issues at all. I was jumping between Firefox and IE because I love working with the tab browsing but since IE7 added that feature, I have been pretty much using it exclusively. Now that being said I have to agree with you with the functionality and security issues Micrsoft's software is famous for!

But I just wanted you to know that I haven't had any problems so far, knock on wood!

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/10/06 09:44 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

I wonder what the difference is?? What operating system do you use? Isn't is strange how some will have no issues and others will have tons. And have you altered the Advanced Internet Options at all?

And come to think of it, Hey Sue, have you changed any of your Internet options lately? Removing some of the defaults. Or did the IE 7 install replace changed you had made and restored the defaults causing the problem. Oh my the possibilities, the possibilities.

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/10/06 10:15 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:

I am using XP Home. And really the only advance option that I have changed is the Phishing Option and I have that turned off.
Thinking about this more I can only remember trouble with with issues concerning pop ups. Because some secure sites use them to let you conduct business. However, I don't believe that this an IE7 issue. It is me, I have too many layers of that sort of blocker, XP has one, IE7 has one and I run the Google toolbar which has one and on top of that I have McAfee Security Software!! Anyway I don't have the problem any more because you can disable them as needed. I currently just let Google block the popups! Works fine for me.

Other than that I am using it "out of the box" so to speak.

But I am willing to compare notes to try to help out!

Also, I noticed that eBay was doing some format changes, especially on their search results, could that have been the issue?

Marty

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/10/06 10:24 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

Absolutely, anytime eBay makes changes it rarely goes smoothly. I noticed the changes and they made another category change. (might want to update your AW2K if you haven't already)

I have not upgraded my IE to version 7 but I may just to see what happens on my machine. As I have changed some of the Internet options. I also use the Google toolbar and popup blocker. Works just fine. And I have McAfee too.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads