Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 25345 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/10/06 11:40 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

Well, it's not as if my computer crashed, or I can't get online, or can't get to web sites. I'm fine, but thanks anyway for the sympathy. It's just so very aggravating that Microsoft would urge people to download a program with such huge bugs. They invited computer geeks and developers to download the beta version a few months ago and only very recently broadened the invitation to everyone....."everyone" meaning suckers like me.

I modified a Registry file as per Microsoft's instructions, and restarted my computer several times. I removed every component of IE I could locate (it no longer appears in Add-Remove Programs) and redownloaded ie6setup.exe, but I still get the notice that it detects a more recent version and that setup cannot continue. Now, here's the weird thing..... As of this morning, if I visit eBay via IE (and how the heck can I open IE if it's not on the Add-Remove Programs list??? -- by just clicking my tray icon, that's how...Twilight Zone!), eBay search results appear normal -- no more empty space at the tops of pages. And my internet Links (the ones you drag to the upper menu bar) are all rearranged, so something got reconfigured. I think I'm back to "normal" -- I just don't know how it happened (little computer cobblers while I was sleeping?).

But I plan to keep using Firefox (even if only in protest) -- some sites look a little different (not necessarily a bad thing), and I can't find a way to change the default icons of Toolbar bookmarks (not a big deal; just was fond of my personalized icons). But Firefox seems to be faster than IE and does a much better job of remembering passwords and keeping me signed in over multiple sessions.

I thought this sampling of posts from a Microsoft forum was pretty amusing (http://forums.microsoft.com/Communities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=372106&SiteID=6):

-------------------------
Hello, I am interested in learning how to uninstall IE7 and reinstall IE6. If I uninstall IE7, I no longer will be able to connect with MS to download IE6, I think. Is there a process or program available to do this? Thanks, CRB
--------------------------
Look....the only way to get IE6 SP1 back is to use system restore. Now I've been talking with IE and they are trying to fix everything. But they are very busy. So be patient, because I have to wait, too. I'm helping them fix it, but it's a major problem that they are trying to fix. So give them and I some time. Thank You Very Much For Your Patience. [that was from May 2006]
It should have never been released if you can't get rid of it. (Beta or not). This is why it is increasingly difficult to get customers to use MS products. Have you ever heard of shooting one's self in the foot. Be patient?...really!

On the last page of the thread, someone says they called Microsoft Support and were referred to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923721

"This problem may occur after you use a hard disk utility program that recovers hard disk space by deleting temporary files and folders."
[I did delete temporary internet files when I switched to Firefox to view an eBay page]

The article goes on to say:

"Warning: Use the Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Uninstall Tool only if the computer and Internet Explorer 7 match the following requirements. Serious problems might occur if you use this tool on a computer that does not meet these requirements. These problems might require that you reinstall the Windows operating system.

The version of Internet Explorer 7 that is installed is 7.0.5346.5; The path of the Windows folder is C:\Windows; The path of the Program Files folder is C:\Program Files; You are running Windows XP on a 32-bit computer; and Internet Explorer 7 is not listed in Add or Remove Programs."

Well, all I can say is yikes. Even if I could determine that is the version of IE7 I have (had?), I think I'd be afraid to use the Uninstall Tool.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/10/06 11:47 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: moonstruck22]  

Hi Marty,

When you are at eBay and you run a keyword search, do the results show up like you're used to seeing them, or is there a long blank space at the top of the page (links along left side but no listings until about halfway down the page)?

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/10/06 11:52 AM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: moonstruck22]  

I'm also using Windows XP Home Edition. It is version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2). I have Automatic Updates disabled, so maybe my system was missing some files needed for IE7 to run properly (and there's still the possibility I had a bad download/a bad install, though usually if a DL or install fails, it's pretty obvious).

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/10/06 01:41 PM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

One more comment about using Firefox.

When you revise the description of an auction on eBay, there is no Standard tab -- your only option is to Enter Your Own HTML. I wonder why the Standard (I guess that's the WYSIWYG option) tab is missing when the browser if Firefox. Anyone know?

Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/10/06 02:16 PM

Sue,

I do not know about that one. But I will find out. I will check on it after class tonight and get back to you. I have not noticed the standard formatting being gone in the revision before.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/10/06 02:22 PM

Hmmm, you're right. Wonder why it happens also. It could be that the tabs are Java script and FF is having problems with it. Dunno, but I'll keep checking to see if I can find out why.

Garry

moonstruck22
(stranger )
10/10/06 06:25 PM
Ah hah! Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Sue:
Sorry for the slow reply, been away from computer most of the day!
When I do a keyword search, it is pretty much like always, except they have changed the look at the left of the page showing current bids, time left etc.
I actually like it better, looks cleaner to me.

About XP, I have automatic updates turned on and have been always up to date.
If you had a bad IE7 install you should be able to download it again right over the top and be ok.
Hope this helps.

Marty

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/31/06 11:56 AM
Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Just an update......

I was finally able to rid my computer of the beta version of MSIE 7 and get back to MSIE 6. I used Firefox for a while, but eventually went back to MSIE mainly because it supports the Java-based category selection (when revising auctions), and because it allows using the WYSIWYG description editor in the Revise Your Description page. I wish there were a browser that provided the best of both worlds.

Sue

bluepennylady
(addict)
10/31/06 12:09 PM
Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I am glad you got it fixed. That was a pain in the neck!

Judy/blue

moonstruck22
(stranger )
11/01/06 08:20 AM
Re: Lotta scrolling goin' on.... new [re: bluepennylady]  

Sue,
I am glad you finally got it figured out also.

And not to place another fly in the ointment but MS released IE7 NON BETA this week in an automatic update. Took quite awhile to install must have been alot of registry changes or something. However, I have notice great improvement in browsing speeds.
Also, Firefox released v.2 last week.
Marty

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads