Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 17880 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
globalduk
(stranger )
03/13/07 05:49 PM
how to move aw2k to another puter  

hey :)

I need to move this auction wizard from my dying laptop to a desktop until I can get a new laptop.

Here is what I've done and failed so far.

download aw2k on the desktop
back up the aw2k on the laptop
restore database on the desktop using the backup from the laptop

try two -
copy all the files in the database fold from the laptop to the desktop

so - there must be something I need to do - in a correct order probably

PLEASE HELP!!!

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/13/07 08:07 PM
Re: how to move aw2k to another puter new [re: globalduk]  

Hi,

Are you receiving error messages when you try to restore the database?

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
03/14/07 04:59 AM

Hi:
This is just another person's idea to help with your problem. When I needed to move aw2k I did the following:
1. Install the program on the NEW machine (assuming you still have your registration number)
2. Backup your data on the OLD machine - making sure you DO NOT exclude anything - the last two check boxes need to be unchecked
3. Once that is done Copy everything from the OLD computer to the NEW computer overwriting the material on the new one.

Once this is done the new computer will be running what you had on the old one. The backup you did is a just in case backup. If for some reason the copy fails then on the NEW computer click on restore and point to the backup.

Hope this helps. It worked for me but that isn't worth two cents if it doesn't work for you. Just remember you're only allowed one instance of the program.

You may also want to email Thom for his advice at info@auctionwizard2000.com

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/14/07 05:18 AM
Re: how to move aw2k to another puter new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

That's exactly what I did when I moved AW2K on someone else's computer system recently. It worked like a charm. I got up this morning wondering if he was running Vista Operating System instead of XP. As both times I helped someone recently moved AW2K to a Vista machine, the backup didn't work using a CD or DVD. We had to use a jump drive instead.

So many options.

Judy/blue

globalduk
(stranger )
03/14/07 06:44 AM
Re: how to move aw2k to another puter new [re: bluepennylady]  

hi - thank you so far.

I am receiving an error message when I do the restore - I didn't write it down - it was very long.

I guess i'll try the copy all things first - but there seems to be some huge backup files or something in my aw2k on my laptop that is giving me problem copying it to my desktop

i'm not using vista - this desktop is old - win2k pro - only has a 3 gig hard drive - its a temporary thing until i get a new relaible laptop - which i don't want vista - so it will take time to find one.

i guess i'll keep messing with it - thanks again
amy

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/14/07 06:52 AM

Amy,

Tyr restoring again and copy down the error message. Thom will want it if we need to go to him for assistance.

You mentioned backup files. Do you back up to the AW2000 folder itself? Or do you backup somewhere else?

I would recommend staying with XP pro as well. Good choice as there are some issues right now with Vista.

Let me know about the error message.

Judy/blue

AuctionWizardAdministrator
(Auction Wizard Team)
03/14/07 08:18 AM

Please contact technical support at info@auctionwizard2000.com

-- The Auction Wizard Team

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
03/14/07 06:02 PM

Judy:
I didn't think of mentioning a Jump Drive - that would be a perfect way. Also it's so faster than a CD or DVD.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
03/14/07 06:57 PM
Re: how to move aw2k to another puter new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

That is the only way I could get one database to backup and move to a Vista computer. It was a mess.

Judy/blue

globalduk
(stranger )
03/15/07 09:57 AM

just an update -

i've succeeded - i guess the backup wasn't working - as I could tell the size of the backup was very small. When I used the dropdown menu to do a backup of the database - i get an error - says something like - not valid file - or something of that nature - i click ok - then the backup program runs.

Well - i went right into the the aw2k folder and found the backup utilities exe file and double clicked it from there - it then ran fine - did a backup to the laptop - copied it over to the desktop via the network - then restored the database on the desktop.

i'm in business - so now i'll wipe my laptop and sell it - anyone looking to buy a headache? LOL

actually - i love the laptop - to bad it seems to be plagued with issues - first had to have the power supply port resoddered. now the fans intermentily work - and it will just shut off when it over heats.

:(

onto better and brighter days -

thanks for the encouragement.!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads