Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 22714 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 03:38 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: Ned]  

Way to go Ned!

That is the type of seller that gives the good sellers a bad name.

Thank you for posting the policy.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 03:40 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I am going to try your tactic with my Italian buyer who insists on sending cash.

You are just sooooo bad! And so very funny. He'll probably get mad at me. And your buyer's probably laugh at you.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/19/07 04:02 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: bluepennylady]  

Well, I have to confess I've done it only a few times, when the buyer has been chatty and friendly and they've mentioned sending cash. I'll reply with a serious warning (my intnl greetings emails suggest they use Registered Mail and conceal the money with thin cardboard), but I won't flat-out refuse it. It's their call. I've had only one problem -- a guy in Ireland sent about $20. I got an empty, taped closed envelope (which is awful cuz you figure they'll just think you're lying), but he said his own postal workers were notarious for opening envelopes and looking for $, so he just sent it again, and I got it. Whew!

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/19/07 04:03 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: Ned]  

Wow!

Sue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
04/21/07 08:14 AM

Sue:
I've never openly specified Cash in an auction listing. Even the email I send to winning bidders doesn't mention cash. Now, the only reason is that I figured people would be hesitant to send cash. So I just kept it out.

With all of that said - I've received cash quite frequently. Sometimes I get an email and they ask if Cash is OK. I've told them that they can send cash "at their own risk" and I suggest they send it registered mail.

As Marty said - most of my cash payments come from Europe. And boy have they come up with all sorts of methods to send Cash. One customer in particular wins the unique cash mailing award (UCMA). They use a small personal size envelope (6 3/4). The cash is all neatly stacked together then stapled on all four corners. Next three sheets of paper are folded to fit into the envelope. The cash is placed inside the folds of the paper and stapled again. Now the fun part. They use some sort of glue stick thingie and cover both sides of the folded paper and then insert it into the envelope. They seal the envelope and tape it shut.

Wanna try opening that envelope? . I end up with shreads of paper all over the desk and eventually using a staple puller end up with the cash - brand new crispy U.S. Dollars.

It is seldom that I get cash from a U.S. customer - those in Europe are the cash senders and many are from Eastern Europe where PayPal is not avaiable.

I still wonder why eBay is pulling your daughter's auctions and yet leaving others up that contain Cash. I feel, as you do, that the cash rule is there simply because they own PayPal and that means more CASH in their pockets. I'm sure, but can't prove it, that at one time Cash was an acceptable form of payment on eBay - way back when.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
04/21/07 08:27 AM

Sue:

LOL - wow you really know how to scare the bejeebers out of your customers huh? The email you send is a good lesson but wow can you imagine the spouse saying "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/22/07 01:53 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Hi Garry,

I thought that idea of gluing the cash into the envelope was quite interesting. I suppose you could figure out a way to tape or otherwise adhere currency to the inside of a large manila envelope with cardboard inside so it couldn't be easily folded to pocket size. The idea would be to make it difficult to quickly and surreptitiously remove the money. Put the bills in a plastic bag (stapling them in would probably be a good idea) and glue or tape that to the cardboard or stiff plastic, then glue that assembly into the envelope. Someone should manufacture some such set-up and sell them on eBay.

My daughter's two auctions (end today) with bids still say Cash OK, but so far, eBay has left them alone. The only thing I can think is that some eBay employee just happened upon her auctions while browsing to add to their own collection and decided to be a do-gooder and clue in the newbie. I don't think they have bots searching for the word CASH.

Sue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
04/22/07 09:03 PM

Sue:
I've had one other person send cash in an unusual way. They used a square size envelope that would hold "drugstore" photo prints. They cut out two pieces of a cardboard box that would fit into the envelope. Between those two pieces they wrapped up and inserted U.S. currency. Then after securely sealing and taping shut the envelope - the marked on front in red crayon "PHOTOGRAPHS - DO NOT BEND."

When I got the envelope I wondered who the heck in France was sending me photos. LOL when I opened up the envelope and checked the photos - they were photos of Ulysses S. Grant. LOL

A rather different way of sending money I guess. But stll seems a bit iffy. I contacted the buyer by email andf he told me that he had sent cash tht way for a long time and never nce had any problems. Guess the thieves didn't want to look at family photos.

Hope your daughter had good luck on her two auctions today.

Garry

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads