Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 22707 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/19/07 00:03 AM
Cash = no no  

I've been teaching my long-distance daughter how to eBay using AW. Tonight, she called to say one of her recently-submitted auctions had disappeared. Turns out eBay pulled it because her Terms said payments could include cash..........and I'm the one who told her to say that. Bad parenting! Apparently, allowing cash payments is eBayillegal.

Here's exactly what her Terms (part of her descriptions; not her Seller's Payment Instructions) said (still say for the two of her auctions that have bids):

Payment due 14 days after auction ends.
PAYPAL, CASH, CHECKS, MONEY ORDERS ACCEPTED.

She's revised all her no-bid auctions, and is wondering if they'll also pull the ones with bids.

This is part of the eBay message to her:
The violation occurred when you included the following information in your listing:

CASH

Our goal is to ensure safe online shopping and to encourage members to use online payment methods that are secure, easy to use, and reliable. They should also offer high levels of protection for both buyers and sellers. Because cash payments do not offer the same level of protection and convenience as online payment methods [oh, and by the way, we make money when they use those "online payment methods", but wink, wink, no need to mention that here], members are generally not permitted to accept cash as a payment method on eBay. Sellers are permitted to accept cash on delivery (COD) but only for in-person transactions. Personal checks, money orders, cashier's checks, certified checks, and bank-to-bank transfers are also permitted.

I've been selling for eight years, and I had no idea about this restriction (my auction terms used to include cash; I can't remember when I changed them...or why; I like cash payments! never had a problem).

And I don't understand how eBay can prohibit independent businesses from taking good 'ol legal tender. There's something very un-American about that. And it's such a blatant ploy to add to their coffers! What's next? All payments must be via Paypal?

So did you guys know about this eBay rule? Do you think they have people prowling auctions looking for the word CASH?

I ran a quick search for the word CASH in Collectibles (with lots of exclusion phrases to narrow it down), and in five minutes I found six that mention cash as a payment option, and some of the sellers have well over 1000 FB ratings (one has 7200). I'd sure like to know why they zeroed in on my daughter's auctions.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 04:22 AM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I am surprised the auction submitted with Cash included. I know if you don't edit out Billpoint from the Listing template in the payment terms the listing will fail.

The "Accepted payment" at eBay state a seller cannot solicit a buyer to send cash except for COD or wire tranfers. Does seem unAmerican though doesn't it.

Have your daughter in law take the time to call eBay. Although, she cannot have the incident removed from her account history, she can and should submit an explanation which will be recorded as well. Even the "I am a new seller and although I realize I should have looked at payment methods, I never thought legal tender would be unacceptable." And I would certainly ask why other sellers are allowed to state cash is acceptable.

Tell her to keep her chin up. And don't be too hard on yourself mom, it could have happened to anyone.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/19/07 11:06 AM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: bluepennylady]  

Very good advice, Judy. I will have her call or email with an explanation. So far, her other auctions haven't been pulled (only the two with bids still mention cash; they end on Sunday).

Searching for auctions that mention CASH is tricky. Many auctions include the word CASH as in "do not send cash" or "has a pocket for cash", so you have to exclude all those phrases, and I searched only in the Collectibles category and also with the word "vintage" so I'd be getting more of the small-time sellers selling fairly unique items (not the multiple-stock sellers). I won't post the six I came across, but if you are curious, you'll be able to find such auctions with little trouble. So yes, it's irritating that my daughter's (not in-law, by the way; my first-born) auctions were singled out.

I'm sure 99% of the sellers offering to accept cash payments are just unaware of the eBay rule -- I certainly was.

Thanks, Sue

moonstruck22
(newbie)
04/19/07 12:21 PM

Sue,
Was a new one for me too! I never stated that cash was ok and never thought it wouldn't be who knew!

I would take it if anyone wantedt to send it tho! In fact, the only time I received cash was from a buyer in Germany! I was really supprised when I opened that mail! They did send US dollars which was good!

Marty

Ned
(newbie)
04/19/07 01:37 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: moonstruck22]  

What a coincidence. I've just been given a Kobe Bryant jersey to sell for the fire department, and so was checking the listings.

Look at item 220102104518!

The seller's had an eBay ID since April 12, and zero feedback. He wants a $5000 starting bid and
"Money preferred in Cash. If you give cash i will one day air the shipping."

I did mention this to eBay Security...

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 01:58 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

WOW! I am glad you sent that to eBay security.

And you know, I do not recall the last CEU eBay University update stating cash was not accepted. I just don't remember seeing that in acceptable payment methods. There was a huge deal about Google checkout but not cash. I am going to have to look at my material tonight.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/19/07 02:49 PM
Re: Cash = no no new [re: moonstruck22]  

Me too, Marty. I had not idea about this rule.

I'd say I've received more cash payments (US dollars, always very crisp) from foreign buyers than from domestic buyers. Interesting -- and nice! -- that they feel we can be trusted, especially considering that I get quite a few notes from folks in Italy, Ireland, and former Iron-Curtain countries urging me to be sure to package some small item in a box/envelope too large to be carried in a pocket.

I do occasionally get a kick out of writing to the buyers who send cash and telling them that I received an empty envelope........then a few minutes later, I email again that I was just kidding, and I invite them to reflect on the sinking feeling they had when they got the first email, and to think about signing up for Paypal.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 02:51 PM

SUE!!

You are sooooooo bad. But so very funnnnyyyy. What a great idea!

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/19/07 03:36 PM

Sue

Ned
(newbie)
04/19/07 03:37 PM

Got him! Listing is now gone.

From http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html:

In reply to:

Policy

Permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including MasterCard/Visa /Amex/Discover® Network, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers. Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions. Sellers may offer to accept personal checks, money orders, cashier's checks, certified checks and other negotiable instruments. Please see the "Some Examples" section of this policy for those evaluated payment services permitted in the eBay marketplace.

Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Sellers may not solicit payment through "topping off" of a seller's pre-paid credit or debit card. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy. Please see the "Some Examples" section of this policy for those evaluated payment services not permitted in the eBay marketplace.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads