Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 26041 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/24/07 07:59 PM
Is the Shipping Calculator accurate?  

Can the eBay shipping calculator be relied on for UPS quotes?

I just listed a large item. In AW, I used Calculated Shipping in Shipping Options; Custom Weight of 65 pounds; Very Large Package (Oversize 2 -- it will be about 30" x 32" x 36"); Packing/Handling of $10.00; and I selected only UPS Ground.

When I go to the auction page and plug in a New York zip (10025, with the "home" zip being 92130), I get a very reasonable $80.40 (please check and see if you get the same figure -- auction ID is 140111652084). But when I enter all the same info at the UPS web site, I get $194.60. What gives?

I'm going to have to remove the shipping info or risk under-collecting.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 08:09 PM
Re: Is the Shipping Calculator accurate? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

How do you have your UPS preferences set up on My eBay? There are two options. UPS on demand or daily pickup. The two rates are substantially different.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/24/07 08:15 PM

Sue,

I came up with $80.40 as well at eBay. I used two different options on UPS, commericial was around $145.00. While the residential was the same as you came up with.

did you include the dimensions in the shipping options? as well as selecting Oversize 2? I know you did, but just double checking.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/24/07 09:53 PM
Re: Is the Shipping Calculator accurate? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

In my eBay Preferences, I found a place to create a Calculated shipping rule, but it didn't apply to this situation -- nothing about UPS.

The only other info I found was that "A $5 handling fee will be added to the shipping charge for "irregular or unusual" pkgs. I didn't select that in AW.

Judy, where do I set up my UPS preferences?

Thanks, Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/24/07 10:01 PM

$80.40 -- that sounds like way too little shipping for a huge, 65-pound box, right?

Yes, I included the dimensions in the AW set-up. Here's what it looks like:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/emailshere/AWShipUPS.jpg

Am I just not seeing something??

Thanks, Sue

Edited by tictictic_OnEbay on 04/25/07 01:27 AM (server time).

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/25/07 05:21 AM

Sue,

The options are in Combined Shipping discounts in your Preferences. There is a edit button next to "Offer UPS at this rate" Click the Edit button and then the two options are available.

$80.00 isn't too high to ship something that heavy and big as it is Oversize in two ways. The weight is oversize and so is the package itself. Smaller boxes can go 70 lbs. But a box that big I believe the limit is 40 lbs. I'll have to check today and see about t 40 lbs but that is what stickes in my mind.

You can't adjust the $5.00 charge. That is added by UPS. And depending on where the package goes, there could be an additional fuel surcharge assessed as well. Your packaging fee should take care of any fuel charges should there be any.

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/25/07 05:26 AM

Sue,

I don't think you are missing anything in AW2K. I think it may be connected to your UPS preferences. Once you get your UPS rates adjusted see if it works better.

You can't tell in all reality about the $80.00 charge. It could be right on the button. It certainly isn't too high. We send out 50 to 60 lb boxes that are almost that big for around 60.00 or so. But those are going to business addresses. Which are always cheaper. I have a huge heavy box going out today. I'll have my staff be sure and give me the charges for a comparison.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/25/07 11:13 AM

Hi Judy,

You wrote: "The options are in Combined Shipping discounts in your Preferences."

Ok, I'll look for that right now.

"$80.00 isn't too high to ship something that heavy and big as it is Oversize in two ways."

No, I agree. What I was saying was that $80 was too low. When I go to the UPS online calculator, I get a figure well over $100.00.

Sue

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/25/07 11:17 AM

Sue,

After you edit your UPS preferences, allow a bit of time, then check the calculations again.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Geez, I was not doing well last night! I was being harrassed the entire time I was typing---- by my husband. He wanted to sit in the hot tub. And he kept standing behind my chair poking on me asking when will you be done, over and over again. He was trying to "theraputically stimulate" me as he calls picking on me. I refused to show any signs of agitation. But I certainly was not paying good attention with all the poking.

Isn't that against the law or something???? Harrassment, that is!

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
04/25/07 11:36 AM

On Demand (no monthly billing) is the default, and that's what My Preferences are/were set for. So the calculated figure should be correct. I'm going to call UPS and see if I can figure this out.

Sue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads