Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 30707 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Ned
(journeyman)
05/17/07 09:03 AM
PayPal Security Key and AW?  

PayPal has introduced a Security Key, a device that generates a new personal key every 30 seconds. Use of this should make your account much more resistant to unauthorized access. I signed up for mine last night.

More info at PayPal. Try Help "security key". Sign up at My Account/Profile/ Account Information.

While signing up, I noticed a button that said something like "use this thing with eBay, too".

Any AW user have experience with this? Any problems?

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/17/07 09:17 AM
Re: PayPal Security Key and AW? new [re: Ned]  

Ned:
Yes, I've used the Security Key for about 6 months. At first PayPal said that it was available on BETA so I applied. Then they said no BETA and wait 2 weeks. The two weeks passed and the Key arrived in the mail. Once you get it (it looks exactly like the picture on PayPal) all you have to do is go to the setup page and type in the ID number on the back and it is activated. The key generates a new 6 digit number about every 60 seconds. So when you log into PayPal you do it normally then the next screen asks for your security key. Push the little button on the key and there is the 6 digit number. Type the number in and you are taken to your regular PayPal page. The system is the same with eBay. Once you sign up for PayPal you are automatically signed up with eBay. You get a similar second screen on eBay where it asks for your key.

I find it unobtrusive and I just keep it by my desk. This makes your account a lot more secure. Even a Phishing scam that somehow gets your user name and password will not be able to get into the account as they don't have the key generator. Cool huh?

It is run by Verisign so any other site that uses this same program from Verisign will allow you to use your current key all you have to do is register your key number.

This is the same security key I was talking about a day or so ago with Google Base.

To answer your question - I love the security it supplies and it works great with eBay. The only difference is if you choose to enter your key number immediatly after and on the same line as your password you cannot embed or save your password.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/17/07 09:31 AM

Ned,

Once you authorize AW2000 to interact with eBay on your behalf, there won't be any problems.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/17/07 09:33 AM
Re: PayPal Security Key and AW? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
Thanks for answering what Ned asked as that is not what I did. I hit send and never said it won't have any problem with AW. I need to learn to read a lot better. Feeling really stupid now.

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/17/07 09:36 AM
Re: PayPal Security Key and AW? new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

Holey moley, I did not intend to do that at all. I am so very sorry. I thought your answer was just real good. The only reason I posted that was for the new users that happen to log on and read about it. Many of the new users get kind of confused about having to authorize AW2000 to interact the first time.

I am really sorry.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/17/07 09:41 AM

Judy:
Geeze - don't feel bad or sorry. I didn't answer his question at all. I gave a general salesman review of the key. Ned only wanted to know if it worked with AW2K. LOL I never answerd that and well felt rather dumb. That just goes to show you that reading is fundamental! .

See dick, see jane, see spot, see fluffy. (umm that shows my age huh?)

Garry

bluepennylady
(veteran)
05/17/07 09:44 AM

Garry,

uhhhh, I read those same books too. I don't think my kids did though

Judy/blue

Ned
(journeyman)
05/17/07 09:52 AM

Garry, Judy

Hey, it was all interesting.

It would be more secure if PayPal didn't put their name on the key.

Ned

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/17/07 09:57 AM

Ned:

When I got my key I thought the same thing. I solved it with the judicious application of water and a bit of alcohol using a piece of paper towel. It took off the applied label every so nicely.

Garry

Ned
(journeyman)
05/24/07 08:53 AM

Garry,

Just got my key. I think they're printing the PayPal logo now, and alcohol wasn't enough.

I used acetone and a cotton swab. That worked well.

CAUTION: Doing this may cause surface damage to the plastic, although it didn't seem to hurt mine much. If the appearance of the plastic is more important to you than removing the PayPal identification, don't use acetone. For me, the identification had to go.

Ned

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads