Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 17599 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
07/19/07 03:33 PM
Links to eBay auctions missing item #, end date, etc. new  

Is it just me, or did eBay change the way a saved link appears? Just as of today (07-19-07), when I save a link to an auction, all I get for the link's title is the auction title and a little bit about the category. For example, here's how links were named for an auction that ended several weeks ago:

Here's how the link was saved/named in June:

eBay Mozart Symphonies 30, 31, & 32 CD MINT! IMPORT RARE (item 130121196858 end time Jun-10-07 171817 PDT)

Here's how it looks when the link is saved today:

Mozart Symphonies 30, 31, & 32 CD MINT! IMPORT RARE on eBay, CDs, Music

The link PATH is exactly the same for both of them. I haven't changed my Favorites program for years. If this is a deliberate/permanent change, it's one of the worst "improvements" eBay has ever made.

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
07/19/07 03:36 PM
Re: Links to eBay auctions missing item #, end date, etc. new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I have been thinking about you for days. It is so good to hear from you!!!!!

I didn't notice that change. But I do know eBay has been making other changes. So the links could very well be one of them. Have you checked the announcement board? Or you might log onto Live Help and ask them. The techs sometimes know if there have been those sort of changes.

Did the new link not work???

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
07/19/07 04:09 PM
Re: Links to eBay auctions missing item #, end date, etc. new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

Yes, I checked the Announcement and the System Status Boards. I also checked the Community Forums, but I can never find anything there -- or rather, I find way too much!

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses MSIE to keep track of links (Favorites). Resave a link you already saved and let us know if the title of the link is different.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
07/19/07 04:20 PM
Re: Links to eBay auctions missing item #, end date, etc. new [re: bluepennylady]  

Forgot your second question....

Yes, the links work just fine (paths are the same; only the titles have changed), but I'm going to get aggravated very fast if I have to change the names of every link to an auction I want to bid on. It would be tedious to have to add the auction ID numbers and the end dates to every link I save.

I know, I'm supposed to be using my eBay Watch list for these, but why should I have to? I've been using Linkman for years. Did eBay get up this morning and think, "Hey, maybe people will be more likely to bid on auctions they add to their Favorites if we remove the end times/dates from the link names............" Uh, NO! We won't know when the auctions end, and we won't be able to arrange the links in order of end dates, unless of course, we have the wherewithal to add those bits of info to each and every link name. Just what I needed....another thing to be grumpy about!

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
07/19/07 04:23 PM
Re: Links to eBay auctions missing item #, end date, etc. [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

You might consider going to the Site Map and about half way down on the far right is the "suggestion link" You could email the suggestion through there that they consider putting the links back the way they were before.

Are you sure the last Microsoft Security update didn't mess with the links? I'll have to check Microsoft but it seems to me like one of the critical updates had something to do with links, cookies etc. I just don't remember the details.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
07/19/07 04:28 PM

I have automatic updates turned off, so I haven't updated for several months (using MSIE 6.x), and I'm not actually using Internet Explorer's Favorites; I'm using a program called Linkman, which I haven't updated for at least two years. So the change must be at eBay's end.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
07/19/07 04:40 PM

Ok, I sent a Suggestion (Judy, you have more confidence than I about eBay's listening skills).

And by the way, when I use IE's Add to Favorites to save the link, it's named without the auction ID # or the end date/time -- same as with Linkman. So this is definitely some idiotic change eBay has made. I'm hoping it's a glitch they'll try to fix, but I doubt it.

Sue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
07/19/07 08:34 PM
Re: Links to eBay auctions missing item #, end date, etc. new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I have found that persistance often pays off. So you might contact Live Help tomorrow and ask them about the changes. And tell them what the problem is. Then in another day or two, do the same thing again relating the difficulty the issue is causing you as an eBay user. Be sure to keep each session number and refer to each session number when you contact Live Help. Ebay does not like it when a user has to contact them over and over again concerning the same issue. And then at the end of the session, fill out the survey.

I know I am a devil aren't I??

Judy/blue

bluepennylady
(veteran)
07/19/07 08:54 PM

Sue,

Hummm, well I know eBay has been making quite a few changes recently. And some of the behind the scenes changes have not been exactly successful. They made a change a week ago that is still causing problems. And as of yesterday it still was not fixed. so the Link thing is probably just one more thing.

So telling them how it affects you is the only way to get them to even consider to change it. You know, they did change the BIN back to how it use to be a couple of weeks ago. Or I should say several different categories have the BIN changed.They are still migrating the change.

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
07/23/07 06:36 PM

THEY FIXED IT!!

It must have either been a glitch or a change that was so wrong-headed that they reversed it in just a few days.

Now, the only difference between how links to auctions were named before last weekend and how they are named today is that they dropped the word eBay from the beginning (kinda surprising).

A couple years ago, when they added "eBay" to the beginning of the links and moved the end date/time to the end of the link names, there were a lot of complaints. People's Favorites/link programs were no longer able to sort the links by date. EBay didn't care. We just had to drag them into chronological order. Well, anyway, they haven't moved the end dates back to the beginning of the links like many would prefer, but at least the end dates aren't missing, and they're including the auction ID #s again.

Here's an example:

Before the recent change:
eBay Vintage COBALT BLUE Hazel Atlas GLASS VASE (item 330131250133 end time Jun-13-07 205726 PDT)

After the recent change:
Vintage COBALT BLUE Hazel Atlas GLASS VASE on eBay, Pottery & Glass, Glass, Glassware, Cobalt

And today:
Vintage COBALT BLUE Hazel Atlas GLASS VASE - (item 330131250133 end time Jun-13-07 205726 PDT)

Sue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads