Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 23895 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 07:09 PM
I-V-O-R-Y  

I tried to list an antique carved dragon tonight and got an error. Something about using a bad word or violating an eBay policy. I had noted in the description that the dragon's eyes may be ivory (they most likely are ivory, but I didn't say for sure). So I changed the word to i vory (with the space). EBay wasn't fooled. Got the same error. So I changed it to "a substance like elephant tusk" and the listing went through (I wonder if I can get away with revising it back to ivory). I wish I knew what sort of variations on the word would have been ok -- i v o r y? eyevory? Of course, they wouldn't come up in searches.

So we are not allowed to use the word IVORY at all??? Ivory is also a color, for pete's sake!

Right now, there are 24,054 auctions with ivory in the title and 83,949 with it in the description (5264 are in the Antiques category).

Has anyone else run into this listing prohibition? Do you think eBay randomly looks for certain verboten words in submitted Lots? I thought you could list eBay-illegal things, and then just keep your fingers crossed that no one reported you. A few years ago, I listed a book by Hitler (a really good copy, in German, with interesting extras) and got shut down. I still have that damn book. Recently, I discovered the exact same book (in German, without the extras!) on eBay, and it sold for over $200.00. How come some people can get away with breaking the rules?

Sue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 09:02 PM
Re: I-V-O-R-Y new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue:
There are some mysteries of eBay that aren't for us mortals to figure out. . I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. I listed a set of stamps from Sweden that originally were sold by the post office and a portion went to charity. I used the stamp collector term Semi-Postal in the description and also used the word charity. Well eBay shut down the auction and sent me a message telling me I would not be allowed to post on eBay if I continued collecting for Charity without registering with them. After several emails back and forth to eBay they finally understood that I wasn't collecting for charity. However, they told me to use a different word in the future as they could shut down another auction where the word "charity" appeared. So I'm not sure about I V O R Y. I know that it is not legal in some cases to deal in ivory without a license and it is possible that those who have listed have a license. And how in the world does one describe an off white Ivory colored item? Geeze. As far as the Hitler book goes I'm not sure why you had problems other than on the eBay Germany site. As I understand it eBay items related to Hitler are not allowed there. However, I have listed stamps that have the word Hitler in the description and those auctions were not taken down. I didn't put the word in quotes or in all caps or anything just typed it normally. So maybe it is the luck of the draw of how the auction is or isn't viewed by the eBay spider. I would try listing the book again and see what happens. You might want to email them and give reference to the auction that sold with the book and explain your situation and see what they say.

Good luck

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 10:10 PM
Re: I-V-O-R-Y new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Well, I was able to revise the auction and go back to the word IVORY, but I had to eliminate the international shipping. Apparently, we can sell ivory to our countrymen, but not to our foreign neighbors. Odd.

When they shut down the Hitler book, the email said it was because it was entirely in the German language. Now after tonight, I bet the real reason was what you said about the German site. I probably had it listed for worldwide shipping. I'll try it again with US shipping only. Thanks for the tips Garry.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 10:38 PM
Re: I-V-O-R-Y new [re: AquilaStamps]  

By the way, that's hilarious about their reaction to the word charity. But so ridiculous that you had to defend it and take time to do so. They try to take judgment out of everything, like all the zero-tolerance rules. Make a policy, stick to it doggedly, stop thinking, none of that dangerous decision-making. A very bad trend.

Sue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 10:39 PM

Sue:
No problem glad I was able to offer some help. I bet that if you select countries for shipping and exclude Germany it may list for you without any problem. I'm sure US and Asia and South America etc would work - I think you can select parts of Europe also. Hope it works out OK for you - it sounds as if you have a good book available to sell. Need to keep fingers crossed that listing it without Germany works.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 10:45 PM

Sue:

It took several emails to get them to understand that I wasn't scamming with a fake charity. Also an opening bid of 5.00 really wasn't going to get me set up on the gravy train for life.

I think what you said is right and it is getting worse in some areas. It may very well be the reaction of a corporation that has gotten away from itself. eBay has grown in leaps and bounds and with each leap it seems to have lost some of the care and concern for the seller. Their policies have been made in reaction to an event rather than to prevent an event. I hope that makes sense. What I have seen over the years is a general decline in understanding on the part of eBay. I can only hope that if we hold on long enough they will be able to return to policy that allows for interpretation rather than blindly following it word for word without thinking.

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
10/08/07 09:24 AM

Sue,

My I take off for a few days and everything under the sun happens.

I discovered knives cannot be listed if you offer International shipping as well. Once domestic only shipping is offered. Goes right through.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/08/07 10:03 AM
Re: I-V-O-R-Y new [re: bluepennylady]  

Well, I guess it's some sort of import-export issue that eBay has little control over. If you ever have time on your hands, go to the USPS online rate calculator and select countries at random. Continue to the rates page, then click to view the "Rate charts and complete information for......." Some countries' prohibitions are funny and at the same time ominous ("Extravagant clothes and other articles contrary to Albanians’ taste"), and others are just puzzling (India reserves the right to charge duties on "almanacs in sheets or in cards....as well as waste paper and old newspaper for packing....").

Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
10/08/07 11:27 AM

Sue,

Now that is odd indeed. Clothing contrary to taste! Whose taste I wonder.

Boy I am glad I live in America!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/12/07 04:27 PM
Re: I-V-O-R-Y (Nazi item update) new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Well, I got the little monster's book listed. Loads of visits in just 10 hours, so I have high hopes. It's listed as shipping to "The Americas", so I guess as long as Europe isn't on the ship-to list, there's no problem.

Sue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads