Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 7306 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 07:25 PM
UPS calculator way off new  

I've noticed the UPS shipping prices indicated by the eBay calculator are crazy too high. Recently, I sold a 15-pound, oversize-one item that showed on the auction page $50.99 from Calif to New York. It got one bid and was shipped Fedex to Michigan for less than half that (in actuality, UPS would have been comparable to Fedex; I sent the buyer a large refund). This just discourages bids -- I'm sure more people would have placed bids on this funky, one-of-a-kind item had they known shipping would be only about $25.00.

Does anyone have a workaround for the UPS calculator? Do you use it at all? Do you omit the box size? Do you check off when the box will be oversize? If you check oversize 1 or 2 and also include the box dimensions, does that kind of double up on the cost it comes up with?

Any tips on this?

Sue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 08:50 PM
Re: UPS calculator way off [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue:
eBay has admitted (3 Oct 2007) that they have a problem with the shipping calculator. It has been going on since early September. There was an article about it in AuctionBytes a few days ago. Here is the link to it - it may help to figure out what's happening.

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m10/i05/s01

The problem as I see it is they had a working calculator. It then goes "bad" and now we are several weeks into the problem and it still isn't fixed. It seems to happen with a lot of other glitches on eBay. Wish I knew why some things take forever for them to fix.

I don't think there is anything you can select or not select to make the problem go away until eBay fixes the calculator. I don't normally use it and haven't used it in over a month so I don't have any tips for you - sorry. Let's hope they get it fixed because I can understand your feeling about bidders not bidding because of an incorrect high shipping charge.

Garry

tictictic_OnEbay
(enthusiast)
10/07/07 11:02 PM
Re: UPS calculator way off new [re: AquilaStamps]  

I put a warning in tonight's auction for people to be wary of the UPS cost that shows up. Maybe it's better to stop using the calculator for heavy stuff and just invite bidders to email for an estimate.

About eBay taking forever to fix things: For about a YEAR, the number of new messages indicated in my My eBay page is always wrong -- it'll say 18 new messages when there are none. I can mark them as Read, go back, refresh the page, and it still says 18. I've emailed them about this, and they say it's a known issue, but that's it. Seems like it would be an easy fix. I think this kind of thing is always a management problem. It's what happens when the driving forces in a business just lose interest or are distracted by competing interests.

Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
10/08/07 11:31 AM
Re: UPS calculator way off new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Yes I have had the same experience. But it is also affecting USPS calculations as well. The problem first started after eBay added the feature to separate shipping fees. Different fees for Domestic and International. And they can't get it fixed. One issue will be resolved and the resolution pushes another problem forward. It is a mess.

For the most part, buyers are emailing asking about "my shipping calculator" which we respond it isn't our calculator it is eBay and there is a problem. So we can supply them with a quote. I know there are probably as many just going on to someone else but editing all the auctions seems a tad overwhelming this past week And I am not easily overwhelmed

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads