Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 8021 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

moonstruck22
(member)
11/06/07 08:04 AM
Shipping based on order total new  

Hi all,
Was wondering if there was any ideas for setting up shipping based on a Customer's total order value?
My eStore for my website is set up that way based on a table and that seems to work well for the items I sell. I want to list some of these same items in my eBay store with shipping rates that are comparable. Can't seem to wrap my head around the right approach to do this!
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Marty
Visit my webpage!
Moonstruckacres.biz

AquilaStamps
(addict)
11/06/07 08:31 AM
Re: Shipping based on order total new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty:
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not -- however, have you thought about patterning your fixed shipping based on the mail order catalog example? They will have a table something like:
total order:
Tax:
Shipping: and the shipping is on dollar value of the total order plus or minus tax.

example: total order $0 - $5.00 shipping $x.xx
$5.01 - $15.00 shipping $x.xx
etc etc

this may or may not help or even give you another idea. Just thought I would mention it. Good luck on your "shipping quest".

Garry

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
11/06/07 09:06 AM
Re: Shipping based on order total new [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

One of the shipping settings in MY Preferences in My eBay deal with that. You might take a look at the "Promotional rule" in the Shipping and Discounts preferences and see if those rules will help at all.

How is it going anyway!! I am thinking all is good at your house.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

moonstruck22
(member)
11/06/07 11:12 AM
Re: Shipping based on order total new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy/Garry:

Thanks for ideas to get me thinking in the right direction, maybe!
The issue is that I don't want it to be a blanket rule for all my listings.
I would like it to cover the restoration hardware/supplies that I sell. I know that I could come up with a flat rate that would cover my costs for most sales but I don;t want it to be unfair for the customer that just wants one knob. Or make it seem so unreasonable that we never sell anything.
So I am thinking now that I should set up an auction provile that has a shipping clause explaining the table based on total order cost, including multiple items.

I know there has been some issues with the shipping calculators and I have never been a fan of weight based shipping. But I know that many use that system and I may have to give in.
Judy, I know that you sort of deal with the same type items, hardware, one of a kind, etc. what system are you using? Pros, Cons?
Thanks again!

Marty
Visit my webpage!
Moonstruckacres.biz

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
11/06/07 12:45 PM
Re: Shipping based on order total [re: moonstruck22]  

Marty,

The weight based shipping calculator on eBay really does not always work correctly. And even when working correctly, the settings do not allow you to address all scenarios.

Something you might consider doing is adding a "Custom page" to your eBay store. Then putting the link on every Listing template in the footer area. And make up a chart like Garry suggested. Then simply list those items that you do not want a shipping calculator with no shipping options defined which forces the buyer to either email you and/or read the shipping chart.

You could in fact, put the Shipping chart in the footer area of the Listing template so it appears in every Auction that you want it to.

You would need to either create an Auction profile with the default Listing template which has the Shipping chart. OR remember to change each Auction lot that you want the chart on listing template before listing the lot.

Me, I use the weight based calculator as well as some Flat rate options. And it is a challenge to get everything balanced. People just don't like to pay for shipping since it went up so much. Give it another few months and the old rates will become foggy---hopefully

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads