Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 58192 *Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
02/01/08 08:39 PM
This girl got no go (was Re: Image Mix-Ups) new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

Wonderful!!! I am so glad that worked for you. Cool beans!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/07/08 12:23 PM
Follow-up re Image Mix-Ups) new [re: bluepennylady]  

Both my eBay Profiles are now set to upload to my new Directory at Pair.com, so I assume the images for a relist will go there, too, and not to the former directory. If the LotImg number of an image matches one of the LotImg numbers from the time my database was corrupt (LotImg numbers were out of synch; duplicate numbers), might I again have the problem with the images getting mixed up when an old Lot is relisted? Doesn't seem like uploading to a new directory resolves this issue if there are still duplicate LotImg numbers in the database, but I have a hard time wrapping my brain around how AW handles this.

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
02/07/08 02:36 PM
Re: Follow-up re Image Mix-Ups) new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

You go girl. Ready to list! Congrats. You have certainly had your hands full.

Let me see if I can help with the two diretory thing.

Each of the FTP account settings you have set up, AW2K literally uploads the LotImg files inside of those directories. So if you have "Sues#1account" all the LotImgs are tucked away inside that directory (folder)

So when you created "Sues'#2account" the LogImg files are all uploaded and tucked away inside that directory (folder)

They can't even see each other. It will not matter you had the same exact LotImg numbers because they can't see each other.

One is going on the path to Sue's#1Account. And the other took the path to the Sue's#2account.

I hope that makes some sense.

IF you are concerned and want to see it in action. List just one auction lot to your new FTP account and then log into pair.com and checkout the new Aw2K folder inside your new tic account'

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/07/08 03:43 PM
Re: Follow-up re Image Mix-Ups) new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

That's pretty much how I thought things worked. I already listed about a dozen things since creating that new directory at Pair.com (already shipped a few). What I was concerned about was relists. AW makes a copy of the original image and stores its info in one of the Images files in the Database (I can't find an Images folder, so the data must be in the Images.MB file), so even if we delete or change the original image file, we can still relist the Lot.

When we relist a Lot, AW drags out, figuratively speaking, that old image and reuses it. In other words, if we were certain the old image was still in the AW database, I suppose we could relist the Lot without re-uploading the images as long as that Profile pointed to the original directory online. Or would we have to re-upload to get the datestamp file updated??? Well, that's a bit off-topic. What I was worried about was that for a relist, AW would pull up the old image info, and let's say its LotImg number is 12345. And let's also say there's another LotImg number 12345 in the database from when it was out of synch. Ok, wait! There can't be another LotImg 12345 because two files can't have the same name, but these aren't really files -- the info is just code (?) within a larger file (? ? ?), so maybe two images can have the same LotImg numbers. Stop me -- I have no idea what I'm talking about........

Maybe the real question is: Are images named locally or not until they arrive at the remote host?

When the database was out of synch (actually, it still is; it just doesn't matter for new Lots as long as I upload to the new directory), how exactly did AW get confused? I think the answer to this question is either very simple and I'm just not seeing it, or it's very complicated and would take an hour to explain and first I'd have to understand how the Borland database works.

Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
02/07/08 04:04 PM
Re: Follow-up re Image Mix-Ups) new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

If you are relisting an Auction lot and the originally uploaded image is not in your new directory, AW2000 will upload the image again. Which is the way it must work. The datestamp in your new directory will be in sync. If you use your new directory from here on out, after all your old auctions end, you could go through and delete all the old images.

FTP accounts get out of sync for a number of reasons. Aborting an image upload before the datestamp is uploaded can cause the sync problem. Losing internet connectivity during the image upload can cause it.

That is why it is better to allow the Lister to complete the image upload process even if you need to abort the listings. The datestamp is uploaded. Then you can abort. If you list again in another hour, the images are not uploaded again. AW2K just looks to see if that LotImg is in that directory, says oh good there is the image and goes on to the next one. If it sees all the images, it will re-apply a new datestamp that matches the time you are now listing and moves on to the actual Lister window.
I hope that makes some kind of sense.

AW2000 names the images for you... That happens behind the scenes.

You won't have two Lotimg xxxx in your database. And since you are using a new directory, you don't have to worry about overwriting previous Lotimg's in the old directory and creating a mess.
But let's say you did have LotImg numbers that were the same. Logimg123 from three weeks ago. Database is all messed up. Auctions are still up and running. Images are still appearing so you know the images are in your Sue's#1account at pair.

Now you list a newly created Auction lot from your repaired database. And well you find you have Lotimg123. For a completely different Auction lot, the new images are going to go to Sue's#2account. It won't matter one bit because those images can't even see each other. They are in different places at pair.com.

Does that make you feel better about it?? I may not be making a lick of sense to you at all.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/15/08 03:55 PM
Noooooooo! Not again!!! new [re: bluepennylady]  

You guys won't believe this. My three-week-old hard drive crashed two days ago -- second hard drive crash in less than a month. It was a fresh-from-Staples, Maxtor SATA drive. The same tech who installed it returned to check out why I couldn't boot up my computer (no charge this time) and said the drive was clicking -- the arm was not moving over to access the disk. So since my computer was 4.5 years old, I bought a whole new system (non-branded).

Fortunately, I have a recent AW backup. I've downloaded and reinstalled AW, entered my old registration number, and now I need advice on doing the restore. Is it better to just move the whole AW folder backup into my (C:) drive, or should I use the AW Restore Database function? And if you recommend the latter, I go looking for the most recent a2b file, right?

Thanks, Sue

P.S. This time, since I was feeling no worries about my brand-new hard drive, I wasn't running any sort of disk image backup software, so I'm afraid I've lost almost all my images (sunset photos, family photos, house construction photos, etc.) as well as 4 GB of MP3 files and about 3000 bookmarks collected over about 10 years. Feels like I imagine people with amnesia feel -- dreadfully disorienting.

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
02/15/08 04:07 PM
Re: Noooooooo! Not again!!! new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

I am so SORRY!! That is terrible. Have you had power surges or power outages where the power got bumped numerous times... Bless your heart!

Generally the best method for the restore is to use the most recent backup... Unless there is a reason you would want to use an earlier version. Although I don't know what that would be.

Use the AW2K restore function. It works really slick as a whistle.

Keep us posted!!!

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/15/08 04:41 PM
Re: Noooooooo! Not again!!! new [re: bluepennylady]  

Well, the power surge thing is interesting. We recently had to replace some circuit breakers (there's a main panel outside and two sub-panels inside), but they were only for the air conditioning circuits, not the one the computer is on. The work was done the day before the last day my computer was working, so probably not related to the crash. The electrician did not throw the main power switch (if he had, we'd have seen flashing clock lights, etc). But the electrical question was also the first thing my tech guy asked when I called the other day. I'll call the electrician and see if he can shed any light on this topic. I have an ordinary surge protector, not an UPS.

Ok, I'll have AW fetch the most recent backup file.

Thanks, Sue

bluepennylady
(Pooh-Bah)
02/15/08 04:53 PM

Sue,.

the power surges can kill your hard drive that is for sure. And if the electrician didn't throw the main, that could be what caused it..

I have a UPS on my home computer. I came home the other day and the computer was off.. Hummm, battery backup isn't working. Hit the on button and nothing. I about got sick. Reset everything and the computer booted up. But I ordered a new UPS from APC today..

Keep us all posted on how the restore goes...

Bless your heart... I feel so sorry for you.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
02/15/08 05:11 PM

Ok, that was fast and easy, and I lost only a day's worth of data. Whew!

I did notice all my User-Defined Websites are missing. Is that to be expected?

Sue

P.S. I just talked to our electrician. He recommends calling the power company to confirm we are getting a reliable 120/240 V to the meter, then after that, he'll come out and isolate the problem circuit. He also recently replaced a circuit that serves a bedroom and bathroom near where the computer is plugged in. We would get flickering lights for up to an hour after using either of two high-wattage appliances (hair dryer and space heater). He replaced that circuit. He also highly recommends the Leviton surge protectors (not necessarily an UPS). Mine is markled IBM which these days means absolutely nothing (they sell the use of their name to any Tom, Dick, and Huang that asks). Sheesh! Remember when all you needed to do was keep important documents in a fireproof box?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads