Listing
   >> eBay Stores
Thread views: 7917 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
03/22/06 02:49 PM
Store Categories glitch???  

I opened my Store the same day (or maybe the night before) eBay rolled out their new 300-category capacity. I had no idea this was about to happen (did anyone?).

Anyway, I configured my standard 29 categories, made a matching list in AW after creating a new Profile, and then I proceeded to list a couple hundred items in my new Store. Every listing I submit goes to what used to be called Category 1, the first one on the list. Then I have to go in and revise the auctions (or bulk-edit in some cases) to get them into the proper categories.

My questions is......Is this problem occurring just because I happened to set up my Store when eBay was about to change the whole setup, or is this happening to everyone who has a Store and uses AW to submit listings? If it's happening to everyone, you'd think there would be posts about it here and at the EZBoard forum, but there aren't.

Thom indicated in an email reply that there is no ETA for rewriting AW to accommodate this huge number of categories, but he didn't specifically say this was causing the problem.

So all you Store owners......are your categories working? If you have submitted any new listings within the last few days, did they get placed in the categories you selected when creating the listing in AuctionWizard?

I am absolutely certain my eBay Store categories match the order of my AW categories, so if everyone else's Store listings are getting to the right categories, what on earth am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
03/24/06 07:03 AM
Re: Store Categories glitch??? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

As I understand this issue, the new categories have 6 digit ID numbers. AW2000 can only handle category 1 through 20, making a match of categories between eBay and AW impossible. This is a very large problem as far as I'm concerned. I have 400 auctions waiting to load as soon as the category issue is resloved.

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
03/24/06 11:25 AM
Re: Store Categories glitch??? new [re: Anonymous]  

I agree it's a very large issue. When you think about it, why on earth would eBay enable 300 categories? I mean 300?!!! Why not just two or three times the previous number, say 50 or 60. That would probably satisfy most Store owners. But 300 categories seems almost like they did it just to present a major roadblock to the third-party software folks. I don't know much about writing program code, but I'm guessing this one will be the biggest headache AW has had to deal with.

And doesn't it seem to you that eBay is nudging its members along the path of everyone becoming a mini-eBay unto themselves? Three hundred categories, for Pete's sake! It's like eBay is wishing to get out of the auction business and just be a Store facilitator.

Also, I read on an eBay forum that Blackthorn is replacing eBay's in-house listing program (I think Blackthorn was the original seed for Mister Lister, or something like that), and that everyone who uses eBay's auction management product will have to learn this "new" program, which I betcha already supports the 300 categories. Anyone know?

I think we're gonna wait weeks if not months before AW is able to support the 300 categories.

tictictic

tictictic_OnEbay
(newbie)
03/24/06 02:57 PM
Re: Store Categories glitch??? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong -- we didn't have to wait months or even weeks. The update to support the 300 categories arrived TODAY, only a week after eBay made the change. Thank you AW crew!

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads