Listing
   >> General
Thread views: 19065 *View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

sharptrade
(stranger )
02/11/07 01:10 PM
Vista and "Network Initialization Failed. Permiss  

I installed Vista and now I can't get AW2K to run. I get the following error message:

"Network Initialization Failed. Permission Denied. File C:\PDOXUSRS.net"

After reading through Google, it is a BDE problem. Still trying to understand why I as an administator on my laptop have restricted access to any files (if that is indeed the problem).

If you have a solution, please post it here and PLEASE also email me too! THANK YOU!

----
http://www.sharptradingcompany.com

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/11/07 03:03 PM
Re: Vista and "Network Initialization Failed. Permiss new [re: sharptrade]  

HI,

You need to delete the PDOXUSRS.net file from the C drive. Go to Start | My Computer. Expand the C drive. You will see a PDOXUSRS.net file. Try deleting that. If it doesn't work, let me know. I ran into the exact same problem the other day.

You really need to get hold of Thom at info@auctionwizard2000.com for technical assistance.

Judy/blue

sharptrade
(stranger )
02/11/07 04:49 PM
Re: Vista and "Network Initialization Failed. Permiss new [re: bluepennylady]  

Actually I found the problem. With Vista, even if you logged in as the administrator,you have to go to the aw2000.exe file and right click, under the compatibility tab, select "run this program as an administrator". That solved it.

----
http://www.sharptradingcompany.com

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/11/07 05:00 PM

Hi,

I am glad you solved the problem. I discovered I could run AW2000 from My computer, right clicking and do the administrator thing later.

There is another fix for the issue too which Thom provided. You might ought to email him anyway and let him know what happened and how you solved the problem.

Judy/blue

grumpy3b
(newbie)
02/21/07 01:19 AM

Just a small comment here. Be cautious assigning Admin rights to an application that will not run correctly. This might be best viewed as temporary fix until Thom has time to fully test aw2k under Vista and work out the kinks.

Don't get caught up in the "oh I trust these people" mind set. Security is not simply "protecting" your information. Security covers far far more then that issue. Having Admin rights covers protecting your system from both YOU and coding errors in an application itself as well as any vulnerabilities that might exist in the application or the Windows code components the application uses.

So, just remember you made this change. And also do not automatically use the same fix to get other applications running...it is not a wise idea.

Personally it is waaaay to soon to begin using Vista for your business systems. Sure it is cool and has neat features but it still has lots of issues. But also it is a DIFFERENT operating system which means a different set of issues when writing programs for the new platform.

These things all take time to settle down. This is a far more involved platform change then when we went from Win98 to WinXP yet there were oodles of fires to put out then also...

I simply would wait until next year. Ideally MS will have a Service Pack out around the end of Q3 or sometime in Q4. But for users that is our busiest time of the year and no time to make a switch...I have decided we will hold out until December which is a slow time of the year sales wise and a great time to make system changes. We actually take from the 2nd week of November through the 2nd week of January off from selling on eBay. So it is a GREAT time to organize our admin junk for the end of the year and for the next year.

Lets give Thom time to work out the kinks...he is good at it... ;)

bluepennylady
(old hand)
02/21/07 04:54 AM
Re: Vista and "Network Initialization Failed. Permiss new [re: grumpy3b]  

HI,

I agree with you about the Admini rights thing. The fix Thom has for the program does not involve Admin Rights. It is actually editing the BDE Administrator. Only takes a minute to do and it does not affect rights.

I am not changing any of my business computers over to Vista either for the same reasons. I put it on one test computer only as I have students using the Vista OS and I have to be able to assist them. Other than than I am waiting too.

Judy/blue

*View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads