General
   >> Reports
Thread views: 9765 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
10/18/08 12:40 PM
Category as a Report field?  

Just needing confirmation that the Category field is not available as a DBText object in Reports. I have a Report I call the Pull List for items I want to remove from inventory. I change their Auction Profile to "PULL" and then after they're pulled, I delete them or place them on Hold using Grid View. The Pull Report includes the Lot #, the Auction ID#, and the Description, but I still have trouble locating items. If I could include a column for the listing Category, that would tell me in what box/location to look for the Lot#. Is this possible?

And just for the record......Gawd I [still] hate Reports! I am in awe of you folks who "get" the Reports Designer. I'm sure all the info I need is in the Help files, and I do read them, but they don't speak to me. Are there teaching resources online for whatever database program Reports is based on? Seems like we should be able to rightclick the boxes we insert and select the field we need. Does anyone know of an add-on for AW that uses a different, more intuitive report-creator?

Sue

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
10/18/08 12:58 PM
Re: Category as a Report field? new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue,

When you say you are having trouble locating the items, do you mean physically in terms of the items storage location? Or do you mean having trouble locating the item in the AW2K database? I am sorry if I am being dense..

You kind of can right click and add fields. Right click in the Report designer provides the different filters, options and features for any particular field you are in. If that makes sense. For example, if you are in a field where dollars and cents go, a right click will allow you to change how the dollars and cents are displayed.

Send me a copy of the report you have customized in an email as an attachment and let me know exactly what you are wanting and I'll see what I can do with it.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/bluepennylady?refid=store
Visit our website too!
http://www.pennyworthsales.com

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
10/18/08 04:30 PM
Re: Category as a Report field? new [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Judy,

In reply to:

When you say you are having trouble locating the items, do you mean physically in terms of the items storage location? Or do you mean having trouble locating the item in the AW2K database?

You're not being dense -- never! I mean physically locating them, so I can lay my hands on the item and price it for my shop or just give up on it and give it away. After something's been listed, like, 12 times ( ! ), you tend to want to throw it through a window.

My Pull list has descriptions, but it would be very nice if it also had Categories, so I could get out the box of jewelry (Lots are in bags, stored numerically), for example, and pull all those Lots, then go to the box of magazine ads, pull all those, then go where the large items are stored, and pull those, and so on.

In reply to:

You kind of can right click and add fields. Right click in the Report designer provides the different filters, options and features for any particular field you are in. If that makes sense. For example, if you are in a field where dollars and cents go, a right click will allow you to change how the dollars and cents are displayed.

Yeah, I kinda knew that, but aren't those options mostly formatting things, arranging things? I mean I'd like to rightclick on a data box I've added and then select the AW field I'd like to have appear in that box. Is the Lot's Category something we can get into a Report?

In reply to:

Send me a copy of the report you have customized in an email as an attachment and let me know exactly what you are wanting and I'll see what I can do with it.

Ok. Thanks!

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
10/18/08 04:42 PM

Ok, I found something called Groups in the Report menu. The dropdown box includes Store Category, but I can't see one for Auction Category, but maybe since all items also have a Store Category even when listed as an auction item, that's a moot point. I see there's also an option for adding a Custom Field. So I'm off to do some experimenting.

Judy, what folder is the saved Report in, and will it be named as I've named it, or does AW give them all generic names?

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
10/18/08 04:55 PM

Ok, Groups isn't it. That simply added a Group Footer which apparently I can't undo (why isn't there an Edit:Undo button?!). To "undo" it, I just exited without saving and reopened it.

Previously, when I was smarter, I was able to add three DBText boxes in the Header section, aligned side-by-side, and they show me the Lot #, the auction ID, and the beginning of the description. I've added another DBText box to the right of those three, and I just need to know how to make it access the Lot's Category (either Store Category or auction Category).

Sue

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
10/18/08 07:25 PM

Sue,

When you Save a report to file, you can pick the folder you want to save it in and the name. Just like when you save any other document or even a picture. The drop down is a snap shot of Windows explorer. I have a folder I created for saving AW2K reports in for folks so I can find them more easily. I hope that helps.

Maybe I am not following you very well.,, but here it goes...

I do not believe the Auction category is available. Primarily because unlike your own Store categories which are not likely to change every week, eBAy's categories do change. Sometimes more than once a week. But at least once a week. So you could in theory and reality, have the category on a "Pull" auction completed, do a program update and the category field then be blank because the category has changed.

I have a "Pull slip".. What we use is the Auction title, Inventory Item number(or Auction lot number) and storage location number to find items. If it has been online, the Auction id number is also displayed. And it works very well. There are at least three points of reference to be sure we have the correct item when pulling inventory. I am in the same boat you are in. I have a retail store too. So sometimes product gets moved back to the retail side. we have to find it, pull it, remove it from the Auction lots and restock in the retail store.

Do you think a pull slip arranged maybe like what I am talking about may work? I'll be happy to send you a copy of mine so you can see.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

bluepennylady
(Carpal Tunnel)
10/18/08 08:11 PM

Sue,.

I am so sorry. I just realized I didnt tell you how to save the report.

on the customized tab, right below the customize button is a "Save to file" button. That is how you save the file to a folder somewhere on your hard drive.

Judy/blue

Visit my eBay store!
Visit our website too!

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads