Introductions
   >> Showcase
Thread views: 64409 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
10/07/06 01:53 PM
Re: Local history new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Garry,

THANK YOU!!! This is wonderful!! Trying to match colors is a real challenge for me and mom doesn't live that close. So I can't just run by her house and say "Mom, match this up, okay??"

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/07/06 02:01 PM
Re: Local history new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy
Mom should move closer right? Also are you so lucky that mom can match in cmyk or rgb? LOL I used to work with a guy that had worked around color so long that he could color match on press in under 5 minutes. He was a marvel ... did it all by eye and talent and memory. When I did press OK's with him it was so easy because he could get the color match done quickly and then there was just fine tuning. When I was working with some of the others it would take a minimum of 5 times longer and often much longer to achieve the same result. I used to beg to work with that man as he made life a lot easier.

My eye for color isn't bad at all but he made me feel like a novice that would never progress forward. Some people such as your mom have an inate ability to do that with color. They can look at it one time and remember it for as long as they wish. Then as if they have some sort of picture album in their brain they can take it away and make room for more. It is an amazing ability. For most of us yellow becomes the hardest color to distinguish as we age however people who have that ability seem never to lose the yellow perception. Amazing.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
10/07/06 02:27 PM

Garry,

My Mom can literally recall the exact shades of any color and match it perfectly without having a swatch in her hand. And she has an incredible eye for decorating. So much so that one of the high end custom interior decorating companies in a nearby town pursued her for years trying to get her to work for them. She never did it. I wish she would have. She is very talented.

Well, I am the one that moved away--first. Then my folks bought a larger ranch further east of where I grew up and they moved. It isn't that far. About 1 hours. It just seems so far when I use to live less than 1/4 mile away.

I did not get 1 ounce of the interior decorator, color stuff from mom. Nada! My sisters on the other hand. It isn't fair. One is an artist deluxe. Wood carving, painting, drawing. The other has my mom's same eye for color and the same ability to decorate. Then---there is me. Bummer!

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/07/06 02:59 PM
Re: Local history new [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
That may well be true ... yet from your mom to your sisters which of them can:

1. locate and negotiate for a liquidation of 9850 Orange & Purple Easter Bunnies imprinted EATHER
2. List them with AW2K
3. Sell them all in 3 weeks
4. Make a profit?
5 Get fantastic feedback with no returns.

Hmmmmmmm?

LOL

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
10/07/06 03:49 PM

Garry,

Well now that is true. My mom can't even turn on the computer. Dad does it for her, starts Word so mom can type. Then he does the printing for her. She never has figured out how to do email or IM so I can't talk to her unless I call.

And mom would get hung up on the fact "easter" is misspelled

Judy/blue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/08/06 11:23 AM

Thanks Garry!

Yeah, black background are my favorite. Just wish I could find a black photo-taking background that would blend perfectly with the digital black. I've tried various fabrics (my camera picks up EVERY speck of lint and then I spend too much time cloning them out of the image), and all the paper backgrounds I've tried, no matter how matte they appear to my eyes, apparently have enough reflectivity to bounce light back and make them photograph as grayish or silverish. And this is just with natural light. Anyone have a great, totally nonreflective, lint-free, black photo background they use?

So that was you at the parade, huh? LOL. I wish downtown looked the same as it did back then. Love the old, old buildings that remain.

Sue

tictictic_OnEbay
(member)
10/08/06 11:53 AM

Thank you so much for telling me about Color Cop. It's the exact thing I needed! Just have to drag the eyedropper into the image. How perfect is that?!!! I wish I'd had it when I spent an hour matching the background of my eBay Store logo to the green I'd selected as my stock Store background. Every time I wanted to check the result of tweaking the color a little, I'd have to upload the little logo again and take a peek. Nope, a little too yellow or a bit too blue. I tried to identify the color by looking at the source code of the Store page, but I couldn't find it. Color Cop coulda save me a LOT of time! And by the way, I didn't do too badly just by eye. According to Color Cop, the stock green is 216, 225, 204, and my logo is 214, 226, 206. I could see it was still off just a bit, but I didn't want to mess with it any more. Now if I could just run the .exe file for Color Cop inside my brain.....

I plan to make a donation to the developer today.

Thanks again, Sue

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/08/06 03:10 PM
Re: Local history new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Sue:
There are a few easy ways to get the black background in your photos. You can go to an art supply store and get black rolled paper. It is black all the way through, not just covered on front and back so when you tear it there is black showing. This is important because if you cut it you don't want a white edge showing (one way though is to use a black magic marker to cover up the cut or tear). Also try Photo Supply stores - such as a place that sells a LOT of cameras and specialty films - they cater to semi-pro and pro photographers. They carry a matte black totally non-reflective paper and also a matte black fabric that is used for a drape and it too is not reflective. Also remember - if you roll the paper/material into about a 5 to 8 inch cone it will help a lot in stoping reflections and if you are photographing glassware it will help define the edges of the glassware and show off the cut glass designs if any are present. The two rolled pieces would of course be just out of the photo or cropped out later. and if you are shooting north to south the rolls would be going in the oposite direction - east and west. And just the opposite for the other way. Actually there is no other way but you get what I mean. Sometimes it does help having the rolls going in the non conventional direction - that can be found by trial and error with a particular item.

The other way to go is check with a local Junior College or College where you live and speak with someone in the photography dept. They may even give you some materials to use.

Finally if there is a large newspaper or magazine in your area. Check with them - the art/advertising or Production dept. Many do the photo shoots for their advertising clients and they too would have the proper material. When I was working we used to have tons of that stuff to photograph all kinds of items. It comes in reds and blues and blacks, yellows, greens and a rainbow of other colors.

Kodak used to be the major marketer of this type of product however there are several others doing it today. And if you are doing digital photography the material you need is the same as film photography - it's the lighting and flash that cause the nasty reflections. Oh, and for those nasty white lint marks - canned air works ever so much better than picking it off the fabric.

One final tip - if you know anyone at your local newspaper and they still use sheet film - ask them for the protective boards that are packed in the box with the film. It is great for a rigid black background. In fact I have some that is a permanent part of my scanner. The white backing on the scanner top is now black because I applied one of those boards to it. It has no reflectance also when scanning.

Hope this helped, if not let me know and I'll dig deeper into the recesses and see what product info I can come up with.

Garry

AquilaStamps
(member)
10/08/06 03:16 PM
Re: Local history new [re: tictictic_OnEbay]  

Wow - you and Judy's mom are pretty good. Your choice by eye was darned good in fact most people prolly won't notice the difference. You'll learn to love color cop it has a lot of uses and makes doing some stuff so fast.

Garry

bluepennylady
(enthusiast)
10/08/06 03:27 PM

Hi,

My oh my. Take an afternoon to go horse back riding and see what I missed.

Garry, I also want to thank you for sharing color cop. I used it to find that I, unlike Sue or my mom, had not come very close to the right shade of blue. But it is now corrected Thanks to Garry sharing color cop. And I have some more work to do with this cool little tool.

Judy/blue

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads