Configuration
   >> Miscellaneous
Thread views: 11541 Return to the search engineFlat Mode*

grumpy3b
(newbie)
08/29/06 04:37 PM
Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow... [re: bluepennylady]  

Hi Back,

Hardware is never an issue around here...I suspect the issue revolves around the issue of how SLOW Paradox works in a multi-user environment. One thing about pdox is it has never been known for speed...it's kinda-sorta a dog in terms of performance. But it should be fine for smaller numbers of user...in our case we are simply dealing with load speed and not application perfromance. So, the controlling factor would be opening indexes and the physical hardware layer of our network. I already know our hardware layer is as fast and need be so we are dealing with how aw2k loads the files it needs at start-up.

Also, since the issue is not present (well, not as long, maybe 2 mins to open) when running locally in single user mode it is not a platform/hardware issue. While there will be some slowdown onver out network it should not be a five fold increase. Plus my machine is also loading the same data over our net wthout the same sort of delay.

I suspect Thom is opening all of the indexes, creating cursors, workareas, etc. when aw2k loads. This is vs create/opening them on the fly. Opening/creating these files at program load is pretty much SOP for using DB programs like pdox as it improves app performance once loaded.

Thanks for the tip in terms of record creation and what seems to work best for you. Knowing that sort of stuff ahead of time is always helpful.

Likely I need to archive some records but I am loathe to do this as the whole point of a database is to keep records available at all times. Plus we are talking about a at most 3000 auction listings which is NOTHING in terms of size.

I think a thread about multi-user tips and pitfalls will be useful...can't wait to see the NEW VERSION Real-Soon-Now...but would still want to see a SQL version as an option.

Entire thread
Subject  Posted byPosted on
*Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  grumpy3b08/29/06 12:09 PM
.*Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  bluepennylady08/29/06 12:49 PM
..Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  grumpy3b08/29/06 04:37 PM
.*Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  bluepennylady08/29/06 04:44 PM
.*Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  grumpy3b08/29/06 05:09 PM
.*Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  bluepennylady08/30/06 02:39 PM
.*Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  grumpy3b09/06/06 11:39 AM
.*Re: Multi-User / Networking Mode VERY Slow...  bluepennylady09/06/06 11:44 AM
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads