Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 8427 Previous threadView all threadsNext threadFlat Mode*

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
02/27/07 05:28 AM
Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key [re: bluepennylady]  

Judy:
Yea, the key arrived and it's pretty neat. It's not all that large maybe 1 1/2" long by 3/4" wide. It could fit on a key chain if anyone wanted. Once you get it in the mail you go onto PayPal and register it. There is a serial number on the back of the device that they want you to give them. Once you do that it's all over. You're ready to use it. They also give you a choice to register it with eBay. I did that too.

To use it just log on as usual to eBay or PayPal. Enter user name and Passwork and click OK. (Same procedure for both sites). Then another screen pops up with a picture of the device and a place to type in the "Security Key". There is a small button on the device and a LCD display. Push the button and a six digit number is displayed for 60 seconds. You type in that number and you're logged on. This means that anyone who hacks your account isn't going to get the number right. The next time you log in you go through the same process but the number is different. Each time you press the button you get a new number. You cannot use the "old" number - so there is no remembering. It has an algorithm built in I would guess that is generating that number and is probably tied to the serial number of your device. It's all very easy and simple and actually I'm grateful for the added level of security - especially with all of the account stealing going on.

So it is a great idea. It is a device sold by VeriSign - it is not a PayPal - eBay only system. So any site that you are involved with that uses this system - you're all set. You just have to log on to that site and register your device serial number and you're ready for the extra level of security there also.

When you get yours I'm sure you wil like it. Oh also, there is a way to get into your account if your device is lost or broken. I'm not sure what they have you do but on each of the sites when you are asked for the security key number there is a choice for "lost or broken security device".

Garry

Entire thread
Subject  Posted byPosted on
*PayPal & eBay Security Key  AquilaStamps02/21/07 00:06 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  bluepennylady02/25/07 12:08 PM
..Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  AquilaStamps02/27/07 05:28 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  bluepennylady02/27/07 05:32 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  AquilaStamps02/27/07 05:41 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  bluepennylady02/27/07 05:59 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  AquilaStamps02/27/07 06:18 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  bluepennylady02/27/07 08:50 AM
.*Re: PayPal & eBay Security Key  AquilaStamps02/27/07 09:46 AM