Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 17121 Previous threadView all threadsNext threadFlat Mode*

Ned
(member)
12/04/07 08:12 AM
Vista: Good news and bad news  

THE GOOD
I've been running Vista on my old 2.8GHz machine for about a month. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned in any review is how sharp the screen text is. If you're not seeing it on your PC running Vista, hook up a recent LCD monitor using the DVI connection. For those of us over 50, the quality of the screen is a major point for moving to Vista.

I think Vista is faster and smoother than the Win 2000 it replaced.

I have successfully installed Ubuntu Linux on the Vista machine. Dual boot works fine. The order in which you install the OSs is important.

And last, Vista _can_ share files with an XP machine, but it requires an update to the XP system to work. Vista also needs to be adjusted, and the Home versions lack the tools to do it, so buy Business or Ultimate.

If you have several PCs all running Vista, I can see how the overall system could operate better and be easier to manage than with older Windows versions. This is just speculation; I haven't tried this.

THE BAD
Unfortunately, Vista can corrupt if you're moving huge amounts of files. Like 35,000 or maybe 10,000. Think you couldn't possibly have 10,000 files? Try copying your C drive to another. You'll be shocked. The corruption can be fixed by restarting, but it still makes me nervous.

It took me about two _weeks_ to get Vista, all my applications, and the other computers working well. Since I'm trying to use the enhanced security of Vista (rather than run as Administrator all the time), I'm still encountering speed bumps here and there.

AW2K runs well on Vista and the migration was painless. The very first rebuild of the DB on Vista failed (none worked), but a second try and all was well. No problems since then.

Endicia still doesn't guarantee that Dazzle will work on Vista, but I haven't had any problems.

BEST TIP: If your business depends on your PC, and you are buying a new one, get a PC powerful enough to run Vista well, and use XP Pro on it for now. Later you will upgrade to Vista, so you want a PC that can handle it, but let others work out the bugs first. I know this seems shocking advice for a product that's been out for a year, but trust me on this--do not buy Vista until at least Service Pack 1 is released. Even if this approach seems to be more expensive, it's not, if you think your time is worth anything.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes to All for the New Year

Ned

Entire thread
Subject  Posted byPosted on
.Vista: Good news and bad news  Ned12/04/07 08:12 AM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  bluepennylady12/04/07 08:20 AM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  globalduk12/05/07 08:06 AM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  bluepennylady12/05/07 08:22 AM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  scalesusa12/12/07 10:52 AM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  bluepennylady12/12/07 12:23 PM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  Ned01/24/08 01:01 PM
.*Re: Vista: Good news and bad news  bluepennylady01/24/08 02:48 PM