Listing
   >> eBay
Thread views: 9645 Previous threadView all threads*Flat Mode*

tictictic_OnEbay
(addict)
05/16/09 11:02 AM
Re: Listing shipping cost [re: ChicagoPlunger]  

Hi ChicagoPlunger (using my imagination on the origin of that user name - !!)

I've never actually used freight shipping -- I checked into it recently, and it seemed more trouble than it was worth (had to learn the freight categories and be ready to fill out forms; plus it was outrageously expensive), so I have always just used Fedex Ground (I have an account, although that gets you discounts only if you use Express). I find they are a little cheaper than UPS, and if I print the shipping label at home, I can drop things off at a nearby mail boxes-type store (I don't pay any surcharge).

Here's what I do for large/heavy items:

I created a Profile that defaults to a series of listing templates which have a disclaimer at the top, offer the option of free Local Pickup, and have built into them various handling fees from $3 to $20, depending on how difficult the packaging will be. When I create the Lot in AW, I select Calculated Shipping, choose UPS shipping, and type in an estimate for the weight and box size (sometimes I don't even have the box yet, so it's just a best guess).

Here's what the disclaimer says for a $10 fee:

==========
Please ignore the eBay UPS shipping calculator; will ship Fedex for best price (actual cost plus $10.00 packing fee); email for estimate. Will not ship outside the continental United States. Also available for free local pick-up (see details below).
==========

Usually, when people check the shipping with the eBay calculator, the UPS cost will be a few dollars more than what I'll end up charging them, so they generally aren't disappointed.

If you are actually using a freight service, maybe you could use a similar disclaimer and figure a way to make the UPS calculator come out to approximately what the freight charges will be. At least this would allow bidders to get a ballpark idea for the cost to their zip code.

Sue

P.S. I'd be very interested to know which freight shipper you use and how it works out for you (details please). I looked into Greyhound Freight, for example, but the only depot that accepted packages would have been a 50-mile round trip for me.

Entire thread
Subject  Posted byPosted on
*Listing shipping cost  ChicagoPlunger05/15/09 09:35 PM
..Re: Listing shipping cost  tictictic_OnEbay05/16/09 11:02 AM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  ChicagoPlunger05/16/09 12:08 PM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  tictictic_OnEbay05/17/09 01:52 PM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  bluepennylady05/18/09 04:54 AM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  bluepennylady05/16/09 05:48 PM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  tictictic_OnEbay05/19/09 11:08 AM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  bluepennylady05/19/09 10:40 PM
.*Re: Listing shipping cost  bluepennylady05/16/09 08:25 AM
Jump to