Catch-All
   >> Everything Else
Thread views: 8274 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

DEALS2000
(stranger )
04/30/07 10:42 AM
UPS Store  

I just shipped a 2/3 size electric guitar(33 ") so I used a UPS store to ship it. What a mistake. $25.00 for shipping, $10 to pack it and $19 for the box etc...

Since I did not have the proper shipping boxes for this item I got lazy and paid the price.

What is the deal with these stores? Do I get charged more than the regular shipping price at one of these stores.

I knew I would pay for the packing material and the labor but $30.00 sounds over the top.

I'd like to hear all your comments and ideas please.

Thanks,

Steve

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/30/07 11:31 AM
Re: UPS Store new [re: DEALS2000]  

Steve,

I am so sorry. The UPS stores are extremely high. You not only pay for the boxes but the labor, etc.

You might consider opening up a UPS account. If you elect to use the weekly payment option there isn't a charge for opening up the UPS account. But you must pay all charges every week. So if you use UPS quite a bit, you end up writing a check every week.

The other option is to use the Electronic debit as a payment method. Then there is not a deposit required to set up the UPS account. And UPS debits the charges from your bank account once a month usually around the 5th to 7th. I had an UPS account for years before I started using it often. You can print off the labels online directly to your printer. Then you can either give them to any UPS driver or you can drop them off at any collection center. You just walk in and hand them across the counter. Even after hours at the main UPS center there is almost always a door where the drivers come and go, and you can walk in, just leave the packages.

Having a UPS account yields the best shipping rates from UPS. Otherwise, you pay through the nose. My husband had the same thing happen to him. He was out of town and shipped something back. He had UPS package the item and he about croaked when he had to pay.

does that help??

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/04/07 11:09 AM

Steve:
The UPS stores are probably the most expensive way to ship something - which you just found out. I too found out the hard way. I was in a hurry and dropped it off there and well the shipping was more than the item was worth.

I have a UPS account that I manage on my computer. It allows me to print out labels one at a time and because I only use it every once and a while they have my Credit Card on file and Charge the card for each label I print. I don't have any minimums or monthly fees. Normally I ship everything by The Postal Service so I don't have a lot of use for UPS but when I need it it is handy and a lot less expensive using the computer rather than their store.

You said you didn't have a box - I ran into that problem and did a "test". I priced out a box at the UPS store and at Kinko's (Fed-Ex) and then at one of those U-Store it places and at a U-Haul store. The same size box was WAY cheaper at the U-Store it place. They were almost 1/2 the price of UPS and U-Haul. They also sell packing peanuts too if you need them.

Sorry to take so long - but hope the UPS account on your computer helps you out. It is tons cheaper. Good luck.

Garry

DEALS2000
(newbie)
05/04/07 11:16 AM
Re: UPS Store new [re: AquilaStamps]  

Wow , thanks. I never thought about using the Storage places to buy boxes. I have 3 near my house and will try there next time I ship something large.

Thanks,

Steve

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/04/07 11:20 AM

Hi,

I can't remember the last time I bought a box. I am a dumpster diver. So be sure to check the local grocery store, liquor store, True Value or other hardware stores, Automotive part stores almost always have boxes and they need to get rid of them. Why they will even give you the packing peanuts if you will come get them.

Judy/blue

AquilaStamps
(enthusiast)
05/04/07 11:49 AM

Steve:
You're welcome. Also as Judy says dumpster diving really works well too. The Liquor store boxes are perfect for me (well the empty ones anyway) as they hold stamp albums perfectly and are extra thick for security. I've never been able to find free peanuts as judy does. I even went to the Zoo but got chased out by the Elephants - they were not pleased.

Garry

bluepennylady
(old hand)
05/04/07 12:00 PM
Re: UPS Store new [re: AquilaStamps]  

In reply to:

. The Liquor store boxes are perfect for me (well the empty ones anyway

Gee the things one has to remember. Empty liquor boxes.

Judy/blue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads