Configuration
   >> HTML Templates
Thread views: 9840 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

midtownpro
(stranger )
03/03/03 11:05 PM
Creating an Andale-style gallery on eBay  

Does anyone know if it is possible to modify the Thumbnail Template provided by AW2K to create just the thumbnail pics with short descriptions underneath. I thought it would be great if we could use the software to create an "Andale-style" gallery at the bottom of our listings. Instead of the "view my other auctions" link, you would have a scrollable window at the bottom of all your auctions with thumbnail pics of all of your other auctions with each thumbnail linking to its respective listing page on eBay. I don't think this would violate eBay terms since you are simply linking to your other auctions. Andale does a good job with this feature; but, I think we could use aw2k to achieve the same result.

Please forgive my posting this link to Andale; but, it is just to show what they offer that I think could be achieved using aw2k. I don't use Andale and am not here to advertise their services in any way.

http://www.andale.com/corp/products/gallery.jsp

midtownpro
(stranger )
03/04/03 02:39 PM
Re: Creating an Andale-style gallery on eBay new [re: midtownpro]  

Here is an example of a 'scrolling window' that I currently have set up. Now, if I could just reduce the thumbnail size and have a small description, I could put this code at the bottom of all my auction lots. This would provide a graphical link of all current auctions at the bottom of all of the user's current listings on eBay.

The HTML code used is in the attached file. You will have to change the extension from.txt to .html

http://www.midtownpro.com/aw2k/scrollingwindow/SCROLLINGWINDOW.htm

midtownpro
(stranger )
03/04/03 02:41 PM
Attachment

Here is the file. Change ".txt" to ".html".

Tradeguy
(newbie)
03/05/03 06:30 AM

Your idea of an Andale type listing within our auctions is a really good one - but I think hard to implement. Andale pulls this off using Java and grabbing the live data off of their server and feeding the auctions "live". This takes care of the problem of only displaying "current" auctions and not those that might of closed earlier that day. The actual scrolling window is done using Flash.

I looked at your scrolling window, which unfortunately won't work on Ebay. No Iframes or Includes allowed in javascript - they will actually strip it from your listing. I've often wanted to use Iframes in my Ebay listings - you could, for example - link to your auction terms on all of your listings and if you had to change anything, you'd just change the one "remote" html file. To the users, it would just look like part of the auction.

But perhaps there are other ways this could be accomplished. A javascript that randomly displayed several thumbnails from the aw2k-generated website would only need a "keyfile" type listing (perhaps generated during the website updates) to know which auctions to associate the pictures with (so they could be linked to the auctions). This script might resemble some of the banner rotation scripts already out there, or even some of the gallery type scripts.

I'm actually working on something similar for my auctions, but to avoid the problem of "live" data, I'm just trying to randomly display several static store items with every auction.

Great idea though....definately worth thinking about...

Rich

magicka
(stranger )
03/06/03 01:43 PM
Re: Creating an Andale-style gallery on eBay new [re: Tradeguy]  

this would be a major plus to aw listings.

both the ability to list a "gallery" type window and the Terms & Conditions idea about displaying 1 remote html file.

crazzydeals
(stranger )
03/10/03 10:34 PM
Re: Creating an Andale-style gallery on eBay new [re: magicka]  

You use to be able to use html to get a miniture window of your other items. It was kinda like picture in picture on a tv but ebay will no longer alow the code in your auctions :(

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads