Configuration
   >> HTML Templates
Thread views: 7521 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Ned
(newbie)
04/19/07 08:30 AM
Pure HTML: Variables in Description field  

The idea of a template, generally, is to separate formatting from content. Pure HTML gives us even more control over the formatting, but it brings up an interesting problem.

I've got a whole bunch of items (over 300) for which the description varies very little. All of them need to be described in the same format, with differing values for size, length, and finish and other fields. I'd like to show the description in a table. The table's formatting and therefore belongs in the template. If I ever modify the design, I'll really be grumbling if I had to change the formatting on 300 descriptions.

There aren't enough User Defined Fields to do the job.

The problem, as I see it, is that the Description field is a single chunk. I could put the table formatting in each inventory record description, but as I said, formatting should be in the template. You can probably see where I'm headed.

What I need is subfields or variables in the Description field.

Here's a possible implementation to show what I'm talking about.

In the inventory record Description field:
#Size=6
#OAL=1 1/16
#Finish=Bright

In the template:
... blah blah blah...
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>Wire Gauge Size</TD><TD><#Description.Size></TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Overall Length</TD><TD><#Description.OAL>"</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Finish</TD><TD><#Description.Finish></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
...more blah blah blah...

Particulars of the implementation are up for debate. A different syntax could allow multi-line text values.

To recap, what I'd like is to be able to put named pieces of the Description field in my template.

But first, does anyone have a way of doing this with what we've got now?

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 08:54 AM
Re: Pure HTML: Variables in Description field new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

As far as formatting, use "bulleted lists" Bulleted list formatting is more search engine friendly than tables which you know means lists pull up higher in organic search results.

As far as the content itself or the Listing template, you can easily change Listing templates on contiguous or non-contiguous records by using the Grid view, selecting records and right clicking. Meaning, if you set up a Listing template that matches the formatting you want now and need to change x number of records to a different format. All you do is edit and customize a new Listing template, select all the records, right click, choose Change LIsting template to x and its done.

As far as the variables in the description itself. The user defined fields as you are aware can be used in the description field but unless someone else has a magic wand I don't know about, there isn't anyway to get around describing individual product. Formatting yes, create a new Listing template but describing individual product, I don't think so. I can check though

Now if you come up with a method of handling variables, you let us all know because I have a ton of product with a great deal of variables. And my staff would LOVE to know anything to make their jobs easier.

Judy/blue

Ned
(newbie)
04/19/07 09:30 AM
Re: Pure HTML: Variables in Description field new [re: bluepennylady]  

In reply to:

As far as formatting, use "bulleted lists" Bulleted list formatting is more search engine friendly than tables which you know means lists pull up higher in organic search results.

Great tip. Thanks! This tip might put off my need for variables. List items aren't much more complex than the pretend syntax I was showing. The Description variables would still be really useful.

In reply to:

As far as the content itself or the Listing template, you can easily change Listing templates on contiguous or non-contiguous records by using the Grid view, selecting records and right clicking. ... choose Change LIsting template to x and its done.

Yup.

In reply to:

As far as the variables in the description itself. The user defined fields as you are aware can be used in the description field but unless someone else has a magic wand I don't know about, there isn't anyway to get around describing individual product.

I ddin't think so.

In reply to:

Now if you come up with a method of handling variables, you let us all know because I have a ton of product with a great deal of variables. And my staff would LOVE to know anything to make their jobs easier.

I figured this would be a generally useful thing. It's also not a small change.

Ned

bluepennylady
(old hand)
04/19/07 10:08 AM
Re: Pure HTML: Variables in Description field new [re: Ned]  

Ned,

The description is one field within the listing template itself. So adding other tags is not practical or actually feasible. But the bulleted lists works really well as do adding User defined fields.

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress as when you list, I wanna see your listings!!!

Judy/blue

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

www.AuctionWizard2000.com | Contact Us Forums powered by WWWThreads